Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Daniels

Cadet
My FreeNAS box:
FreeNAS 9.2.1.5
2 ZFS Volumes on 2 HDD in Raid 1, both shared with CIFS
16 GB ECC DDR3-1600 RAM

I'd like to enable some kind of detailed activity logging so I can record what files my users are opening, modifying, deleting, etc. I only need this enabled on one of my volumes.

Every time I add vfs objects = audit or full_audit I get very strange issues on the shares when saving new files. For example, when I try to save a new file to the share from Word or notepad, Windows will give an error that the file already exists. If I create a file with Right Click -> New -> Word Document it says there was an error communicating with the server, then if I click cancel the blank file appears.

While all this is going on, the logs show:

Code:
Jul  6 01:43:27 kernel: pid 78087 (smbd), uid 1011: exited on signal 6
Jul  6 01:43:27 smbd_audit: username|192.168.46.60|username-zb|sys_acl_get_fd|ok|IT/New Microsoft Word Document (6).docx

Once I changed the log level to debug it seems that all the crashes are preceeded by the samba command sys_acl_get_fd.

The volume is set to use Windows ACLs. I don't have the best grasp on the whole Samba/Windows ACLs in FreeNAS, so maybe there's something I'm missing there.

As soon as I remove the vfs objects = full_audit line the problem disappears. I've tested out vfs objects = audit as well and the results are the same.

After searching the forums there doesn't seem to be much discussion about audit and full_audit. Has anyone been able to get this feature working?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you review the contents of your smb4.conf file (located at /usr/local/etc/) you will notice that your shares have the following setting:
vfs objects = zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread

When you add "vfs objects = full_audit" to a share configuration file, it will overwrite the above vfs objects and break acls.
You might try putting "vfs objects = zfsacl streams_xattr aio_pthread full_audit" into the auxiliary parameters field on your CIFs share definition.

For reference see the bug report here: https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9956

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.