Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason L

Cadet
We are running FreeNAS v8.3.1 on a

Dell Optiplex 330
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Dual 2Tb HDD RAIDZ
4Gb RAM (All the motherboard would support)

We are transitioning from storing our SolidWorks files on the local modeling machines to the NAS for better organization and backup.

Whenever a SolidWorks part is opened through the network drive without the application running, the program crashes on initialization. When SolidWorks is running and a part is opened from the NAS through the Open dialogue, we get the message that "Access to [Network drive\File Path\~$Temporary Part.SLDPRT] was denied."

We have no problems opening image files, excel files, etc. Only SolidWorks (so far) has this problem. My first guess was security settings for these particular temporary files were different. My second guess is that memory might be low for such a high demand application?

Opening a file on one Windows machine from another works fine. Accessing the NAS as a guest with all permissions granted does not help - the problem does not appear to be in security settings.

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some programs don't do well with their files on network shares. It shouldn't matter, but some are hard coded in stupid ways and just don't play nice.

I know, not much help, but if it doesn't work as a guest I'm thinking its not going to ever work.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Not sure what the issue is here but for reference, Solidworks utilizes network shares great. In fact its a preferred configuration for multiple users for obvious reasons.

What is your permission configuration for that share?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Jason L

Cadet
Unix permission control, read/write/execute for owner and group, no "other" permission.

Inherit owner and permissions.

User logins are unique credentials rather than matching the windows login, though I don't imagine that makes a difference.

I can't log in to get more details until tomorrow.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Solidworks is likely using windows credentials to gain the access. I will look and see if there is any way to force something different in solidworks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Jason L

Cadet
We have resolved this issue. For those who run into the same problem: Unix ACL permissions 0777 (read/write/execute for owner, group and guest) are insufficient for some applications. To fix the problem we just switched to Windows ACL.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
WOW. I'd really like to know why setting Windows ACL matters.. seems odd to me. But at least it works.

titan_rw

Guru
The application might be trying to set a windows specific permission on the file. Even with unix 777 permissions, trying to set a windows (specific) permission will probably fail.

Windows acl's are quite complex, and (as I understand it) support more flags / features than unix permissions. At the very least they support different permissions / features. I'm not surprised a windows application fails when accessing files / folders that have unix style permissions. At least FreeNAS supports native windows file permissions. I still think that is quite neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.