SOLVED Access denied on existing but not new files (UFS-CIFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h4ck3rc1

Cadet
Hi, I have been using FreeNAS 8.3, and then 9.1 for a number of months now on my home NAS without any real problems (I have been able to solve everything rather easily with google and forum searches), but now I have run into a problem that I am unable to solve as yet. I was previously using a Core 2 Duo E6550 with 2GB DDR3 RAM on an Asus board, but the motherboard on that one died, so I swapped the existing HDD out of that one to an old Pentium 4 board with 1.5GB of DDR2 on a HP motherboard. The HDD is the same (WD Red 2TB) formatted in UFS from the previous setup, but when I plugged in the USB flash drive (16GB SanDisk Cruzer Edge) with the FreeNAS installation on it, waited for it to load, browsed to the NAS on my regular PC I couldn't access any files. I presumed I might need to re-install FreeNAS, so I did. Once done, and set-up again, I was able to view the root directory of my NAS drive, but would only get access denied errors when trying to go into a folder. I tried for hours to re-assign permissions, change permissions on the configuration of the CIFS share, the Volume permissions and adding and trying different options on in the Users and Groups sections with no luck.
I even went to the extent of installing NAS4Free and to see if I could at least access my files there with no joy.
I eventually decided to downgrade back to FreeNAS 8.3.2 and see if I could get it to work, and after changing a few permission settings and making sure to click "Set permissions recursively" (which I had tried with FreeNAS 9.1), I finally had access again.
I just wanted to share this as, being a relative newcomer to the world of FreeBSD based OS's, but on the other hand, quite experienced with Windows and Linux based OS's, I found it puzzling that, as far as I can see, trying the same options with FreeNAS 8.3.2 would work, where it wouldn't on 9.1, even though I was running 9.1 with the previous motherboard.

Whattteva

Wizard
That's bizzare. Maybe post a sample output of the command "ls -l" of some of your files here and which user you are trying to access it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.