One pool fails to install PLEX, another succeeds? (12.0-U7)

Hello TrueNAS community,

I'm struggling with an issue that doesn't make sense to me. I have just added a new disk I'm hoping to dedicate as a PLEX jail. My media library is relatively large and I'm thinking it would make sense to keep the PLEX install/index on a separate, faster disk than my cheap HDDs.
So, I popped in the drive (an M2 SSD) to the mobo, and created it as a new pool. I'm trying to install PLEX on it via the GUI, but every time I try something goes wrong.
This is very strange, as I was able to get PLEX up and running on the old pool (although I completely deleted the iocage dataset when I installed the new disk. I thought it'd be easier to do a fresh install rather than migrate. Probably the wrong call)
Here's what's happened so far:
  • Plugins page asks me to choose a Pool for jail storage (I chose the new pool: "NEW POOL")
  • I select PLEX Media Server for install
  • DHCP is left checked
  • PLEX install begins.
It then gets stuck. On a fresh PLEX install to the completely clean pool, the process begins as normal. Once it hits 50% it throws up the following error:
Error: PLEX had a failure Exception:RuntimeError Message: +Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: ERROR, check jail logs Stopped PLEX due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed
The server then reboots. When I check the pool, a new iocage dataset exists, but it cannot be found in the jails nor does PLEX show up as a plugin. Attempts to install the plugin again, without deleting the existing iocage, force the system to reboot at the 50% mark every time.

So, first thing I do is check through network/DNS settings, since the error message makes it pretty clear something's wrong there. But... well, my DNS knowledge isn't the greatest, so outside of a couple attempts to create a static IP for the jail (which I'm not certain I did correctly), I got nowhere. So I'm not sure what's up here.
Second... well, here's what confuses me. When I specify the jail location to the original pool, with the HDDs, everything goes perfectly. No DNS issues, nothing. This doesn't make sense to me, since if that's working it's clearly not my router or some other, TrueNAS-wide DNS issue. The same NEW POOL also fails to install any other plugins, but I can't get the error messages on those. So my thinking is it's somehow just this pool having an issue.

I'm at a loss. I'm also not certain how to check the Jail logs for more data. Anyone who knows more about this have an idea?

Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U7

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
iocage can't operate across multiple pools. You'll have to designate one pool for iocage. In the Jails view, click the gear icon on the right to display a selector pulldown. Select the pool you want to dedicate for iocage.

Also, look under Network->Global Configuration, and make sure you have a default gateway and DNS servers set.

Thank you for your help.

Just went to jails and tried adjusting the iocage to the new pool (and *only* the new pool). I get the same issue - it reboots the system at 50% completion. Only this time there's no error messages, and the install still fails.

I have put in my router Gateway info and used 8.8.8.8 as DNS Nameserver. I'm not sure it's a DNS issue at heart, as the other pool can install successfully, and I'm not sure what I'd have checked/unchecked in the global settings that would cause one pool to work and not the other. I am by no means an expert here, though.

Okay, so a new weird twist.

I switched over the install option to NAT instead of DHCP. And it installs! In the correct location! Hurray!

Only now when I run it I can't see in my network. The router doesn't list it at all (like it normally does when it's running fine). The Plugin page in TrueNAS lists an IP for PLEX's admin portal, but I can't get access to it via browser. The Jail IP address also gets me nothing.

So... I can install via NAT, but nothing else. I am at the edge of my networking knowledge, but could it be something with my router only recognizing a single pool? I'm not sure why it would make a difference at the router level since I don't think Pools get their own IPs, but maybe?

Why would the install fail on one pool and be successful on a different one? That's where I'm still getting stuck, but apparently it does make a difference, as DHCP is an issue but NAT isn't. Really odd.

Okay, I tried it with a definite fixed IP address (gave it a go at 192.168.1.200/24). I got it to install, and this time it shows up on the network Map in the router. ONly as an MAC address, but the IP is the static one I gave it. So partial progress!

But still, nothing else works. No admin portal, no way to get access to the PLEX front end. It replies to ping, though, so that's something at least.