SOLVED One PC cannot authenticate while others can

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngates

Cadet
Hi! Been trying to figure this out for quite some time now. I read several post, but none of it solved the issue.

My PCs belong to a workgroup. It's strange that only one PC cannot authenticate. Others can connect, authenticate and access SMB shares. Error I got is: Logon Failure: unknown user name or bad password.

The lone PC is running Windows 7 64-bit. I can ping the FreeNAS server. I can even access other shared folders by other PCs.

Hope you can help me solve this issue.

Thanks,

MN

Motherbaord: Dell Inc., 0GY6Y8
CPU: Intel i5-3470
RAM: 2x4GB
HDD: 2x1TB, Seagate ST1000DM0010, mirror

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi! Been trying to figure this out for quite some time now. I read several post, but none of it solved the issue.

My PCs belong to a workgroup. It's strange that only one PC cannot authenticate. Others can connect, authenticate and access SMB shares. Error I got is: Logon Failure: unknown user name or bad password.

The lone PC is running Windows 7 64-bit. I can ping the FreeNAS server. I can even access other shared folders by other PCs.

Thanks,

MN

Bump logging up to "full", reproduce the problem, them post a debug file. System->Advanced->Save Debug.

mngates

Cadet
Bump logging up to "full", reproduce the problem, them post a debug file. System->Advanced->Save Debug.

Hi! My apologies..

I did follow what you asked, but not quite sure if this is what you are looking for.

Please find uploaded file.

Thanks,

MN

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20170701105528.tgz
    405 KB · Views: 314

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Thanks,

MN

Does the Workgroup name on the Windows 7 PC match the Workgroup name you specified in the SMB service settings on your FreeNAS server?

Does the user account on the Windows 7 PC exist on the FreeNAS server? And if so, do the passwords match? Can you log on to the FreeNAS server using these user credentials from a different Windows 7 PC?

mngates

Cadet
Does the Workgroup name on the Windows 7 PC match the Workgroup name you specified in the SMB service settings on your FreeNAS server?

Does the user account on the Windows 7 PC exist on the FreeNAS server? And if so, do the passwords match? Can you log on to the FreeNAS server using these user credentials from a different Windows 7 PC?

Hi Spearfoot!

Yes, the workgroup name on my PC matches the workgroup name specified in the SMB settings.

For this particular PC (the one that cannot connect), yes Windows user account is the same as the username I have in FreeNAS. But the password is not the same.

Yes, I can successfully log on using these user credential from other PCs.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

MN

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
For this particular PC (the one that cannot connect), yes Windows user account is the same as the username I have in FreeNAS. But the password is not the same.
The password isn't the same... can you attach to a share using the Windows 'Connect using different credentials' option?

richh1833

Cadet
I have this exact same problem. There is only 1 set of credentials for my NAS and every computer except my desktop can access the NAS. If I set the NAS to guest access then my desktop can access it. Otherwise I can't and it errors out saying wrong credentials.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi! I get the same error when using different credentials.

Thanks,

MN

It's possible that your computer is trying to use NTLMv1 for authentication. Try setting the following as an auxiliary parameter under Services->SMB ntlm auth = yes.
While you are in Services -> SMB, increase the logging level of Samba to debug, reproduce the problem, and post the contents of /var/log/samba4/log.smbd.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have this exact same problem. There is only 1 set of credentials for my NAS and every computer except my desktop can access the NAS. If I set the NAS to guest access then my desktop can access it. Otherwise I can't and it errors out saying wrong credentials.
Please create a new forum thread for your issue.

richh1833

Cadet
It's possible that your computer is trying to use NTLMv1 for authentication. Try setting the following as an auxiliary parameter under Services->SMB ntlm auth = yes.
While you are in Services -> SMB, increase the logging level of Samba to debug, reproduce the problem, and post the contents of /var/log/samba4/log.smbd.

Please create a new forum thread for your issue.

Just wanted to that helped me solve my problem. I guessed that something in my local security policies in W10 may have changed during some troubleshooting and was using NTLMv1 for LAN auth. Changed it back to NTLMv2 and was working again. Thanks

mngates

Cadet

Hi Anodos! I tried entering ntlm auth = yes, and it works.

Thank you,

MN

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi Anodos! I tried entering ntlm auth = yes, and it works.

Thank you,

MN

Well, that was just an ugly workaround. Since we know what the problem is, you're better off fixing it. Check the following registry entry on the Windows 7 computer HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa. It should be set to "3".

mngates

Cadet
Well, that was just an ugly workaround. Since we know what the problem is, you're better off fixing it. Check the following registry entry on the Windows 7 computer HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa. It should be set to "3".

Hi! After setting it to 3, do I have do remove ntlm auth = yes under auxiliary parameter?

Thanks,

MN

Status
Not open for further replies.