Can see, but cannot connect FreeNAS box via CIFS share to Windows PCs on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatmando

Dabbler
What permissions do your datasets that you have shared have? How many shares do you have? I suggest for your workflow that you go to services->cifs and see what your guest user is configured to be. Then go to your shares and enable guest access and guest access only. After that you can configure your datasets to be owned by the guest user. This will make it so you never need a password to access the data and should eliminate most permission issues.

I only have one share under Windows (CIFS), I have deleted it and remade it with guest access. Until yesterday only had the default users and had the permissions to the root user with guest access. I created a "guest" user and made that the owner of the dataset with no luck.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For guest access you don't need a guest account. Just set the share to guest only if you don't need authentication anywhere on the share

faztic

Dabbler
I can login to WebGUI and i can ping freenas but i cant connect to the CIFS shares. I have been able to earlier, before the powersurge.
It has a new but identical motherboard. Windows says the server wont allow a connection. It doesnt even ask for login details.
I also tried "connect to server" on a mac (CIFS://192.168.1.253) but it wont allow it either.

The hardware is ASrock Rack E3C226D2I LGA1150
Intel i3 4160, 16 GB cruical ECC RAM, 6*WD Red 3 TB, FreeNAS 9.3.1 is installed on a 16 gb kingston USB

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
It has a new but identical motherboard
Is this a newer motherboard from the one you were speaking about in your Can't access WebGUI thread?

Also, it would be better if you simply created a new thread instead of necro'ing this one.

darkesha

Cadet
I also have similar problems.
When accessing from OsX everything works as I wanted. When accessing from Windows7, it won't even let the user log in with proper password unless guess is allowed.
I have 6 users (4 kids and 2 parents) and each has it's folder in /home (unix) share.

When one user (kid) access /home/ from OsX everything is great and that user is able to read and write in it's own folder. For some reason it can read 3 other user's (kids) but not 2 other ones - parents (even though all 6 users have same setup of read / write permissions). But that's fine. That's an issue for another day.

The problem is when I use my Windows laptop and try logging in /homes the damn freenas is not letting me in no matter whose log in credentials I put in. It flatly refuse accepting credentials. If I enable guest access, it will open this folder without asking for password and I will be able to see only kid's folders but won't be able to open those folders. At this time it doesn't even ask me to log in to them.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I also have similar problems.
When accessing from OsX everything works as I wanted. When accessing from Windows7, it won't even let the user log in with proper password unless guess is allowed.
I don't want guest access, I wanted all users logging in, but it looks like there are some bugs in this thing. Some people get lucky so it works for them, some didn't do rituals and holy dances and it doesn't work for them, and time is precious to spend months testing it and chasing bugs.
If it works from OSX, and not from Windows, it sounds like a Windows problem.

darkesha

Cadet
I would imagine so, but the fact that parent's and kid's folder have same type of permission and they are vastly different makes me believe something is fishy there.
Especially since father is owner of /homes.

Btw. but I was pretty frustrated while writing my post so I had to edit it to make it more understandable hoping no one will quote me before I do - obviously I was too slow.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would imagine so, but the fact that parent's and kid's folder have same type of permission and they are vastly different makes me believe something is fishy there.
Especially since father is owner of /homes.

Btw. but I was pretty frustrated while writing my post so I had to edit it to make it more understandable hoping no one will quote me before I do - obviously I was too slow.
Permissions are not as straightforward as people tend to think. You have to plan and configure accordingly. My guess is you have some issues with your groups. If you want to troubleshoot those issues, please open a new thread. This one is not yours and your issue does not appear to be the same.

darkesha

Cadet
Reading through topic it seemed I had very similar issue as most of other guys on the topic. That's why I chipped in. But I am not an expert. Thanks for help and direction I will look into next (groups).

darkesha

Cadet
I think I can conclude my "Windows cannot access..." issue.
Once I added credentials for server;user;password in credential manager in Windows7 it logged in properly (after logging out and logging back in). Without these saved I would get log in dialog but credentials would never be accepted.
Also if I don't have credentials and just change share to accept guests, the dialog for user name / password wouldn't even pop up when accessing homes/user1 folders.

I hope it helps someone in the future.

Manish Kumar

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I had tried mostly every trick which is given in this as well as other forums, but I just can't make it work. I am not able to access CIFS share from my mac. Have tried giving all possible permissions, tried with guest and specific user, but it just doesn't work.

Is there anything anyone could help me with ? I would hugely appreciate it.

Manish Kumar

Cadet
Ok, Just after writing this thing, something magical happened.

Well, My problem still isn't fixed completely, but if I make my share browseable, and click on it through finder, and if I give credentials there, it works, but if I try to do that manually, like "Go To Server" and doing this "smb://192.168.1.11/mnt/XXXX/XXX/", it just doesn't work.

I really don't want to make my share browseable, but will live it for time being, till someone can help me fix, what am I doing wrong.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok, Just after writing this thing, something magical happened.

Well, My problem still isn't fixed completely, but if I make my share browseable, and click on it through finder, and if I give credentials there, it works, but if I try to do that manually, like "Go To Server" and doing this "smb://192.168.1.11/mnt/XXXX/XXX/", it just doesn't work.

I really don't want to make my share browseable, but will live it for time being, till someone can help me fix, what am I doing wrong.

Unless your SHARE name is mnt, then you're pointing to the wrong path entirely.

gafn

Cadet
Sorry to necro-thread, but anyone finding this in future should be aware that system TIME is CRITICAL in Kerberos applications, e.g. Active Directory. I believe workgroup shares (e.g. non-AD) have time issues as well, even though Kerberos is not involved there.

If the delta of system time on the different machines is out of sync more than 5 minutes, you are asking for trouble. 10+ minutes out of sync and it is pretty much a given you will have major issues, especially in an Active Directory domain, including PDC/BDC/DC's not synchronizing, logins not working, shares inaccessible, etc. If you are experiencing this issue, check that the time is synchronized on both the machines that access and serve the shares.

This time sync issue especially tends to crop up on virtual machines due to the way the internal clocks are virtualized. This has gotten better over the years, but still tends to rear its ugly head from time to time (no pun intended).

In an enterprise/small business, use a common external NTP source for all machines if at all possible, this insures time synchronization. Even better is to run a single (or multiple) internal NTP time source machine(s) for your company that connects to the NTP network for its time. If your systemcannot reach the internet because of a DMZ or some such, or are not permitted to do so by company policy (the firewall ports are not open), run an internal NTP server on a bare-metal system that is checked for accurate time frequently. The US Naval Observatory master clock (atomic clock) automated voice announcer still works, at (202) 762-1401. I used to do this with a remote system for years in the late '90s, and it worked great as long as I checked at least once a week. Sometimes ancient tech is the best tech.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you want to run an NTP server, a GPS receiver is something you should investigate for accurate timekeeping. Can't easily beat a literal constellation of atomic clocks constantly being monitored and compared against a whole bunch of even better atomic clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.