Cannot access CIFS share on one of four Windows computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Alpha

Dabbler
On one of four Windows PCs, when I try to connect to my FreeNAS CIFS share, I get the following message:
\\{FreeNAS IP}\{CIFS Share Name}
This user can't sign in because this account is currently disabled.

The CIFS share is set up as guest with no login required. All computers are on the same network. The problem computer was running Windows 7 and is now Windows 10 - the problem was there before the upgrade. The other computers which connect OK are running Windows Vista, Windows 7 Starter and Windows 10. The problem computer has no trouble connecting to any other network resources. It is dual boot, and there are no problems connecting to FreeNAS shares when it is running LINUX. The user on this computer in Windows has no password.

I have not been able to find a solution by searching for the problem with Google, searching the forum, asking a friend who is on the Free BSD development team or asking Linda Kately, who does FreeNAS training.

I am pretty sure it must be some setting on the computer, but I have no idea what it could be or how to change it.

123Alpha

Dabbler
That would mean I would have to use the password when accessing it from all my computers. I did not want to have to use a password to access this share. Why does it work OK without a password for all of the other computers? Is there no way to get it working on this one without a password?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That setting does not force you to use a password when authenticating over smb. That setting is for logging in locally to the freenas system.

To remove the password prompt you need to set the guest only access setting under the share settings.

123Alpha

Dabbler
THANK YOU!!!!!!
This worked --- Finally a solution. I have been frustrated by this for SO LONG, and the answer is finally so simple. I could not find this anywhere else.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Permissions are hard until you know how they work then they are very simple. One thing I know is there should be no guides that tell you to click the disable login with password box. If there is it should be deleted.

123Alpha

Dabbler
I think this problem has been solved now.

I don't know how to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.