Old user, new problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Update:
My NAS has slowed down considerably. Historically, I could move data to the NAS at around 20-30Mbs/sec and now I max out at 11.
I could move data from the NAS at roughly twice that speed, but now I max out at 11.
I am prompted with a security warning at the beginning of every transfer, which reeks havoc with my automated data backup program and I have to do it manually.
Is there a more basic version of NAS storage out there? I don't want jails or a bunch of fancy options, just quick in/out storage with raid 1 reliability.
Thanks for the responses I have received from this forum. I am sorry that I have not been helped by this forum and post this in a final hope of assistance.
I have watched some videos and read excerpts from various documentation from the official user manual and other users. It usually leads me to a wizard dialog that cannot be satisfied for some unknown reason.
I can access my data, but only as a root login. No alternative user/group configuration results in accessibility of any kind, just refusals by Windows to access the NAS.
\\Freenas\foldername will not work, only \\ipaddress\foldername and it results in security warnings.
Signed 'ditch effort'

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I am prompted with a security warning at the beginning of every transfer
Which message, exactly? The people here try very hard to help, but it is difficult without complete information.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Capture5.PNG

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The next time you see that, clicking the Show details drop-down might help. Or it might not, given the way Windows goes. But this suggests that it is the content of those particular files that is the problem, not FreeNAS. It's possible that they contain viruses and that is what is being detected. It's worth doing a full virus scan with at least two different antivirus packages to tell.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
There are no viruses, my protection is varied, current and my drives clean.
The Show details pull down goes to a microsoft webpage with general info on why this might happen, basically worthless.
I fixed it for most actions by deleting unused users on the mapped FreeNAS drive properties window under sharing.
For others who are looking for basic answers, don't statically assign the IP address of the FreeNAS, leave it DHCP and wait about an hour...it'll show up as a network resource //Freenas//foldername, which was one of my unanswered questions. Probably not the reason, but can't argue with the results.

I've recently learned that FreeNAS was sold and there is an option, NAS4Free by the original developers.
Based on my experiences here, I plan to give it a try.
I feel kinda sad really, but it is what it is.
Thanks again for all your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Guru
You realize that the error you're receiving is entirely from Windows, right? FreeNAS has nothing to do with it. You have an error in your configuration, so the system thinks that file is being sourced from a device that isn't on your internal (trusted) network. Doesn't matter if it's an FN box, Synology, N4F, or whatever. Even sadder, simply Googling the error message would have pointed you in the right direction for a fix.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
I know the error came from Windows.
Even easier than Googling, I followed the link in the popup to Microsoft which explained why the popup occurred from Windows perspective, therefore the info was informative, but not directly useful in fixing my FreeNAS upgrade.
If you had fully read and understood my posts, then you might have realized that this error began appearing after upgrading FreeNAS from 9.2.0 to 11.1
Therefore, it was more likely related to that change than anything else.

I signed up to the forum seeking some basic answers to basic configuration questions, most of which were not answered by participating in this forum.
I don't need polite insults.

Sadly, I think I'm done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.