Old user, new problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
I've been using FreeNAS for a long time. Enjoy the NAS features, but not much of a networking guy.
I set it up for mirroring two 2TB drives and have survived a drive failure and several updates over the years.
Today, I decided to update from 9.2.0 to 11.1 and downloaded the .iso image. Update seemed to go well, didn't notice issues until accessing from browser on another machine.
An automated setup called Initial Wizard started and would not go past a certain point because I couldn't answer the question. (see first attached photo capture1.png).
I looked on the forums, saw others talking about setting up domain servers, etc. but nothing that would tell me what to enter into the field.
My network is a simple one, there is no domain server that I'm aware of.
I have a modem to the internet, an 8 port dumb 1GB data switch connecting an HTPC for watching TV, a laptop or two and a network printer/scanner/copier. I've been trying to have the printer scan documents directly to FreeNAS, but that's not important right now.
All of my computers are Windows 10.
Finally, I figured out how to discover the domain name of the pc I was using and it is simply 'WORKGROUP'. I entered this and then hit 'next'.
Initial Wizard indicated no domain server responded.
I hit 'exit'.
The web interface seemed to open up OK, but there are no drives present.
I cannot access FreeNAS as a mapped network drive using my old settings and cannot create a new network drive as FreeNAS isn't on the network, probably due to the domain thing being wrong.
According to FreeNAS web interface, there are no CIFS or SMB, users, or anything else. Its as if the FreeNAS is without resource except for the 8gb da0 drive.
I've looked, read, searched, and everyone here is either trying to do something related to my questions OR there is no listing found.
I know my data is there.
I feel that my questions are too basic for the forum, but I still need some help.
If someone could please 'betty crocker' this for me, I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Update!
I imported volume and now have the storage drives back in View Volumes/View Disks.
Now I'm guessing I need to re-establish my CIFS or SAMBA...

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Created a new SMB share, best guess at the settings.
Still doesn't show up on network...
I know its there because I'm accessing it via a browser.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
I'm running 'Verify Install' under 'System' - 'Update'. I also tried 'Check Now' but it popped up with a text window of errors regarding host name.
Verification was successful.
I've just been notified new feature flags are available for the imported volume and to look in the user guide for instructions.
I'll try changing the SMB share to have guest access and no password.
Under 'Services' - 'SMB', I chose to bind the IP address listed, which is the FreeNAS server address.
I can't get the old network drive mapping to go away, so I'm going to reboot my laptop and see if it'll disappear.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
So after the reboot, I decided to follow the instructions on upgrading a ZFS pool.
Capture2.PNG

Here's how the search in the user guide turned out...
Capture3.PNG

In fact, no matter how I approached it, nothing if found when searched for, including something that I knew was there...so maybe the search engine is broke?...
Capture4.PNG

Yep, found it in the contents!

My upgrade is complete!

KingEdward37

Dabbler
According to the guide, section 10.4.1 is my exact need. I can't run the wizard however because it insists I have a domain name login, etc.
The problem is this Active Directory thing maybe. Found a step by step by Fester on 9.3, but it isn't similar enough as 11.1 doesn't have CIFS, only SMB so the whole exercise failed.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
OK, so I created a SMB share with guest access only, no user, no group. It didn't show up on the network computer list and I couldn't create a mapped network drive either.
I tried manually entering the mapped drive using \\(IPaddress)\(NameOfShare) and was able to connect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm done with this for now. Maybe I'll have an assist message when I check back. Thanks guys for the help.

gpsguy

btw, if you'd like an offline version (PDF/ePub) of the docs, you can download one via the link in my signature.

tvsjr

Guru
You're posting and changing things so fast that no one can keep up. You start off talking about SMB shares, then jump to upgrading a zpool. Meanwhile, you haven't followed the forum rules and told us about your hardware.

A few clues, anyway. First, SMB and CIFS are, for these purposes, equivalent. Second, a domain implies that you have an Active Directory environment running... if you don't know what that is, and considering you say your PC belongs to "WORKGROUP", you probably don't have this.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Good morning and thank you for your responses. I will download the PDF version of the user guide.
I apologize for posting haphazardly.
Reading through my posts this morning, they do seem a little confusing.
Here's my hardware specifics:
ASRock E350M1 motherboard with 8gb of ram.
1 seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB hard drive and 1 Samsung HD204UI 2TB hard drive. These two drives are mirrored, raid 0 I think. They were both Samsung originally but one of them started going out after a couple years. FreeNAS reported it, I swapped it out to the Seagate, FreeNAS did its thing, its been two more years already and I'm watching for the next failure. Runs perfect for my little home network. The power supply is Micro PS-IM400XM. I have mounted a USB port inside my case and used a Sandisk 2GB drive until yesterday, when I upgraded to an 8GB USB made by ADATA, model UV100 series. The case is a mid tower with good cooling and space for additional drives. I will be adding drives eventually because I've reached 80% capacity. I'd like to separate my entertainment stuff from archive storage too, but that's later. I was running SMART on the old FreeNAS 9.2.0 but as of yesterday, it reports that it doesn't like one of my hard drives and halts the SMART utility.
This can also wait.
For now I have one over arcing problem, which I'm sorry is unclear.
I do not have an active directory environment.
I cannot complete any step by step instruction or tutorial because FreeNAS puts me into a popup asking for domain. I will provide a screen shot of this popup. I've read on LDAP, AD, & NIS... none of them are in use and none can be bypassed, so the best I've managed to do is create a SMB "situation" with a windows share set for guest, no login and that isn't working well. I'd like to get back to having my FreeNAS show up on the network as a NAS so I can access it using \\freenas\drive, etc.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 249

gpsguy

Do you have a backup copy of your "old" 9.2.0 configuration? If not, can you still boot to 9.2.0 with your old 2GB flash drive and backup the configuration. If you didn't upgrade your ZFS pool, you should be able to roll back to your old version.

I'd be tempted to start over on the upgrade. Install 9.2.1.9 on your 8GB flash drive, skip the startup wizard and restore your 9.2.0 configuration. Ensure everything works like it did with 9.2.0. From there, upgrade to 9.3. FreeNAS 9.3 is a supported version for the upgrade to 11.x, This should save you from having to reconfigure FreeNAS from scratch.

used a Sandisk 2GB drive until yesterday

If you do start from scratch, I'd skip the initial wizard. Just configure the pieces and parts you need and auto-import your existing volume (pool).

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply GPSGUY. As you might have noticed in one of my earlier posts, I did successfully upgrade my ZFS pool, so no going back.
My reply thoughts in no particular order...
I agree that starting over with the upgrade and going to an intermediate version is good advice, but it may be too late...(because my ZFS is upgraded?)
I did not save my configuration from 9.2.0, but I do have the 'old' 2GB flash drive.
I really don't mind re-configuring FreeNAS from scratch, but I can't follow a tutorial without hitting the wizard along the way and don't know enough to find my way through. I think this would be a good exercise for me, don't you?

I will try to boot using the 2GB Sandisk and not touch anything and save a configuration.
Course, first I've got to figure out how...
I'll report back here in a bit with results...

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Here's what happened:

System booted to 9.2.0 but didn't show up in my network tree. ZFS volumes weren't there, but that was expected.
Downloaded pdf manual from forum resource and followed instructions to save a backup configuration.
Booted in 11.1 and restored config from 9.2.0 per instructions in 11.1 user guide.
Web GUI indicated that it accepted the upload and then rebooted itself. Watching the monitor connected directly to the FreeNAS machine, the reboot took a long time, over 15 minutes, the process taking more time than the initial move from 9.2.0 to 11.1 yesterday. Lots of stuff scrolling up the display...
System then rebooted a second time.
There are two shares now present. One called printer, which is from my attempts to get the HP printer/scanner/copier to scan directly to the FreeNAS machine, and one called FreeNAS, which is my attempt to get the machine back on the network using guest only, guest access, no user, no password.

FreeNAS still doesn't show up on the network as a device, and I know that sometimes it takes awhile.
Attempting to 'map network drive' finds nothing on the network except for the two PCs I expect to see.
Attempting to 'map network drive' manually using \\FreeNAS\freenas\ yields no joy either.
Attempting to 'map network drive' manually using \\<ipaddress-of-freenas\freenas\ got me connected, which is what I guess I'll have to live with. I'll have to reset the other PCs on the network, redirecting them using the ip address form of mapping.

Thanks for you help. I'm sorry I am so inept and am also sorry you couldn't assist me more.
I am signed up to watch the first training video on FreeNAS. Hopefully I will learn something that will solve my access problems.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
New problem. I can't delete folders on FreeNAS. Says I need permission from nobody to access. Now what?

KingEdward37

Dabbler
I can delete files inside the folder, but not the folder itself.
You gotta be kidding me.
This is getting old. I REALLY like FreeNAS, and it has served well, but I use it for the simplest type of job, network accessible storage.
Yep, a rant.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Found where SMB has a Guest Account option. It was set to nobody so I changed it to root because I think that it has the most authority, then deleted the silly folder.
This is not a good idea is it?

gpsguy

Sorry, I overlooked that in your earlier messages. In the future, don't upgrade your pool until you are absolutely sure you don't need to go back to an earlier version.

After you upgrade the pool, you can't roll back.

I did successfully upgrade my ZFS pool, so no going back.

KingEdward37

Dabbler
Errors scrolling off the display connected to the machine.
They say basically the same thing over and over:
Code:
(Date/Time stamp) mDNS responder: mDNSPlatformSourceAddrForDest: connect 1.1.1.1 failed errno 51 network is unreachable
(Date/Time stamp) mDNS responder: mDNS responder (engineering build) (Jan 18th 2018 15:53:34) starting
(Date/Time stamp) mDNS responder: unable to parse DNS server list. Unicast DNS-SD unavailable

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.