SOLVED Not able to connect to Jail after setting

ChrisReeve

Explorer
Hi

I have to use static IP, and have set up static IP for my freeNAS server successfully. But I am not able to successfully set a STATIC IP for my plex jail, while in a VNET, and still be able to connect to it.

1. I am able to set DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4, VNET, and Berkely Packet Filter (basically default settings), and get it to work successfully that way, but then I am stuck with non-static IP, which I dont want.

2. I am also able to set a static IP, and DISABLE DHCP Autoconfigure, VNET, and Berkeley Packet Filter. This works, and I am able to connect to plex using my new IP.

BUT, if I use solution 2, something weird happens. My local IP for freeNAS is: 192.168.10.69. My chosen IP for plex jail is 192.168.10.79. When I activate this Jail, I can suddendly access my freenas server, by typing in 192.168.10.79 in a web browser. Plex altso works via 192.168.10.79:32400. Also, the network page on the Dashboard changes to "IP Adress 192.168.10.79", and "Aliases 192.168.10.79" when I activate the jail. Upon deactivation, it returns to its normal 192.168.10.69.

Also, when doing this, my server is STILL available on 192.168.10.69.

If I try to activate VNET for the jail, AND Static IP (which is what Im trying to do), I am not able to configure it correctly. I am not able to get it working. I assume I am doing something wrong, but I am not able to solve it, using the freenas Guide. Trust me, I have tried. If I have missed something, please point me to the correct page, not just link to the guide itsef.

What I have done (unsuccessfully):
Plex jail settings:

Basic Properties:
DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4: OFF
VNET: ON
Berkeley Packet FIlter: ON
IPv4 Interface: ix1 (same as freenas itself)
IPv4 Adress: 192.168.10.79
IPv4 Netmask: 24 (same as freenas itself)
IPv4 Default Router: 192.168.10.1 (same as freenas itself, not sure if Im supposed to set this when Im using vnet)

Autoconfigure IPv6: OFF
Everything else under IPv6 is blank, or "none"

Auto-start ON

Network Properties:

interfaces: vnet0:bridge0
host_domainname: none
host_hostname: plex-plexpass
exec_fib: 0
ip4_saddrsel: ON
ip4: inherit
ip6_saddrsel: ON
ip6: inherit
resolver: /etc/resolv.conf
mac_prefix: (blank)
vnet_default_interface: ix1 (same as freenas)
vnet0_mac: 306377XXXXXX 306377XXXXXX (partly replaced with X's to hide full address)
vnet1_mac: none
vnet2_mac: none
vnet3_mac: none

Does anyone spot anything immediately wrong with this setup?

Last edited:

ChrisReeve

Explorer
Quick update: I was able to solve it.

I had to change "IPv4 interface" under Basic Properties from "ix1", to "vnet0". I thought I already had tried this, but I guess not. Anyways, now it works.

I still want to leave this thread here, in case anyone else struggles with the same issue. This is one (of many) cases which the guide lacks any good information. The only thing it says for "IPv4 interface", is:
IPv4 Interfacedrop-down menuChoose a network interface to use for this IPv4 connection.
Nowhere else do I find any clarification, if I should set this to something else, when I choose to do a static IP.