Not a FreeNAS Guru, but help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodguy

Dabbler
Good afternoon,

I am running Freenas 9.2.1.7 and lately for some reason my device seems to keep restarting, and I'm not sure why.

Can anyone point me (in newbie terms) as to how I can figure out why the box would be restarting?

Furthermore, for my directory services, is it possible to set that to auto start everytime the box boots? My NFS seems to automatically turn on, but directory services does not. I have to tell Directory services to turn on (Manually) about 2 or 3x before it will actually start along with CIFS.

Thank you in advance.

solarisguy

Guru
Some general thoughts in a random order...

What are the last messages in the FreeNAS logs before the restart?

Do you have ECC system (CPU, motherboard, memory) ?

Would your BIOS record and display hardware faults?

Does your system have IPMI ? If yes, check the logs.

Did you check temperature of your CPU and other components?

I have no idea about directory services, but I would check the logs whether anything is blocking their start.

solarisguy

Guru
P.S. Advanced system troubleshooting is both science and art. And it is time consuming at the same time. If system availability is important, purchasing hardware that is known to work, might be an option. That is a generic advice, as we know nothing about your case yet. This forum might be able to help, but you would need to learn (more than you probably ever wanted) about your hardware, software and system administration.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is easier if you tell us your hardware, doodguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.