No IP on boot but can get one manually

wogggieee

Dabbler
I had a working system which had a hardware failure. I ended up changing everything but the power supply. With the new internals I am not getting an IP address when I boot. The console setup screen gives me a "The web interface could not be accessed. Please check the network configuration" If I choose option 1 (Configure network interfaces) a d chose the option to remove the current settings of this interface it gets me an IP and I can log in through the web GUI. However when I reboot I go back to having no IP address. If I run option 1 but choose not to remove the current settings and instead enter the IP that I want the server to have it will get the IP address on boot and I can log into the web GUI however the server seemingly cannot access anything outside of the network. I've also tried using a fresh install with the same results

Motherboard: GIGABYTE C246M-WU4
CPU: Intel Core i5-9400
Memory: 64gb
NIC; onboard Intel I210 Gigabit and Intel I219-LM
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
To access things outside of your network, you need to set your gateway. You can do that through the WebUI or through the console. You want to make sure that your DNS server(s) are set as well.

It's likely that you need to reset more than just a single interface. I would check in the interfaces section, and make sure that no other physical interfaces have any settings. If you had a link aggregation group set up, make sure you remove it. If you still need a lagg, then remove the old one, and re-add it.

If that still doesn't work, then I'd suggest the following just to clear out everything:
  1. Reset all interfaces, and remove all LAGGs.
  2. Connect just one port.
  3. Set that interface to DHCP.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Make sure you're getting a DHCP address from your DHCP server, and that you can access your webui on that IP.
  6. Set your network to your desired configuration.
  7. Reboot
  8. Profit!