No configured network interfaces were found

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckennascole

Cadet
I decided to make use of my old Toshiba laptop. I formatted the harddisk. I purchased a 8GB usb stick, downloaded and installed 8.3.0 (then reformatted both and tried with 8.3.1-RC1). I followed the manual and it went well until the first run. Despite having Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Fast Ethernet on the laptop(on the supported NIC list) FreeNAS couldn't detect the network controller(no configured...). Choosing 1 displays no choices. I checked the BIOS, everything seems to be in order. I see the LAN enabled, even have it on the boot priority list as marvell Yukon 88e8040...
What am I missing or doing wrong?

ProtoSD

MVP
Sometimes integrated devices function differently. Maybe the best you can try is grabbing a LIVE copy of FreeBSD and booting from that to see if it works.

You can also look at the output from "dmesg | more" at the command line and see if it's detected by the kernel there.

mckennascole

Cadet
You can also look at the output from "dmesg | more" at the command line and see if it's detected by the kernel there.

there was a part with marvell in output of "dmesg | more":

pci7: <acpi pci bus> on pcib2
mskc0: <marvell yukon 88e8040t fast ethernet> irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci7
mskc0: 0x400 bytes of rid 0x10 res 3 failed (0 0xffffffffffffffff).
mskc0: unknown device: id=0xff, ref=0x0f
device_attach: mskc0 attach returned 6

Does this suffice or should I still use FreeBSD?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That looks to me like your device isn't compatible with FreeNAS. If you want to know if it will work with FreeBSD you'll have to try it.

mckennascole

Cadet
I burned mfsBSD to a cd. Then I booted with it. it asks for login info which turns out to be root and mfsroot. Then I first reentered dmesg more, Marvell was there. Then I inserted the Ethernet cable. voi la! the green light turned on and it acquired IP from my modem. Now it's pingable and everything. I entered ifconfig command but lots of info came which I wouldn't be able to interpret. So what's the verdict now? Doesn't freeNAS support Marvell Yukon 88e8040 despite having it on the list?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My guess is there's a newer driver than what FreeNAS has that works with your card. I'd put in a ticket at support.freenas.org and wait for your ticket to be closed. I will warn you that Marvell doesn't exactly have high performance and relibility in FreeBSD, so even if the driver is added I wouldn't expect your network card to be high performing or reliable.

Since you are talking about a Toshiba laptop, I'd consider getting a different machine to use. If you only plan to use it to experiment with FreeNAS, you may find your laptop won't even do that very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.