NIS Integration w/ Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I manage Linux NIS Server with FreeNAS NIS client.
I had patch the server makefile to produce master.passwd files needed by the FreeNAS NIS client.
Every NIS user is now able to login in the FreeNAS using ssh.
But with samba, it's not working at this moment.
I try add valid_users = @netgroup_name , where netgroup_name is the name of a NIS group, but no luck...

Any idea,
Michael

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You *must* create the accounts in the WebGUI, as the manual says.

If you have lots of users that you need to create, you can use the FreeNAS API.

What you are trying to do won't work (as you have seen).

ovizii

Patron
can I ask why one has to use the webgui?
if it doesn't do the same as the command line, what exactly does the gui do differently when creating accounts?
knowing that would help us understand and enable us to use the command line again.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You have to use the web GUI because you choose FreeNAS for the web GUI. If you want to use the CLI you should use freeBSD. When making modifications to freenas they must happen in the GUI so they can be added to the database that freenas manages behind the scenes. Having this centralized database allows for easy upgrades, easy way to save your configuration and an easy way to recover your configuration. The GUI also tries to prevent you from doing things incorrectly or from forgetting a step.

Now knowing this I don't think you we be enabled to use the CLI again line you think you do. If you want to automate things use the restful api. All major products do things this way and it even provides backwards comparability of some command changes, this way your script should always work in theory.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What SweetAndLow said, exactly.

If you are hellbent on doing what you were doing via the CLI and ignoring the WebGUI, you are better off going to FreeBSD. FreeNAS makes lots of assumptions and determinations for you when doing *everything*. Even when creating a new pool, there's about 20 decisions that need to be made (do you do partitions or not? Do you align it or not? What sector size? What block size? What feature flags? I could go on and on...). FreeNAS is great because the scripts already handle something like 3/4 of them for you, regardless of your few options in the WebGUI. If this kind of rigidity is not compatible with your intended use case, I'd recommend you go to FreeBSD. It will give you the control to do everything you want, your way.

If you have that many users that you need to automate their generation, it really sounds like you need to use the right tool for this job.. aka directory services of some kind.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
can I ask why one has to use the webgui?
if it doesn't do the same as the command line, what exactly does the gui do differently when creating accounts?

Generally, nothing's persistent on a FreeNAS system unless it is part of the configuration database. The GUI is your interface to that. The database drives the system configuration (particularly at reboot).

If you create stuff manually from the CLI, it is unlikely to persist across reboots unless you also figure out how to update the database, which isn't intended to be fondled by end users.

Status
Not open for further replies.