Nice to be here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCardiff

Explorer
I've recently stumbled across FreeNAS and I have to admit that once I started getting into it, I realized how much potential I was messing with.
I started with a "just a thing" box. It was powered by a dual core quad, had barely enough memory to run it, and was sorely hurting for umph.
I've spent the past few months piecing up a box I am happy with. eBay has presented me with supplies. I now have an old Intel S5000 motherboard, brains are a pair of L5420 Xeons, and 32G of ECC ram. I also eBayed a Dell H310 and flashed it to an LSI firmware.
I am sitting at 6 times 3TB - but running direct from the board at this point as I'm waiting for the cables and one more drive to populate the card. Then it'll be 8 times 3Tb, in ZFS Raid Z2. I lose 2 drives, leaving me with I believe 18Tb of useable storage.
I am running 4 jails right now. Plex in addin mode, Plexconnect which is running in a ubuntu server virtualbox image, a Windows box in virtualbox, and a minecraft server in an ubuntu server (again) virtualbox image.
The dual low wattage processor server board is replacing a board that was running a 120W processor. I think I'm breaking even there. HOWEVER... I had several other small things running that are now those vm's so I believe penny saved sort of thing.

I've also acquired a dual intel add on card, so now I have 4 "em" adapters.
I know that multiple NICs are taboo, but I have questions.

EM0 is FreeNAS
EM1 was floating
EM2 is off on a separate leg of my network waiting to be something
EM3 ... I have no plans for

I set EM1 to DHCP, then in my router assigned it a specific address. I am and intend to use it as a direct route to my SMB shares. This means some things in my house can hit direct without messing up Plex shares (I think).
I am hoping to figure out how to assign a jail to a NIC so I can put some sort of system fully way from the rest of the box in the separate leg of my network. I also need to figure out how to share a folder so that that machine can save things, and have a different machine read them and delete them. I'm close.

I want to add that, when I get my cables, my plans are to buy outright a new 3Tb drive to place into the pool and complete it at 8 times 3, but also to buy a 4Tb drive to temp store all of my current data, and then I can kill my current pool completely and rebuilt it on the 8 drives. I'd lose 10% for restocking fees, but I'm thinking that means renting a 4Tb drive for $20.. right ?

That was a pretty long introduction. My bad.

BillCardiff

Explorer
I have - it works how I want it to work and I can see the data flowing where I want it to flow. I am though in process still - I may end up submitting my whole network so as to put just my HTPC and one line in to my server for a direct SMB share, as really that's what I'm looking for, maybe a vlan connection ? I haven't gotten there yet. But the rebuild is coming in 3 weeks at the very most so will poke at things until then.

BillCardiff

Explorer
It is right now sir - pulling up reports tab when not using my HTPC shows next to no traffic on em1 and regular traffic on em0 - and when starting a movie on my HTPC things change to show my 40Mbps or more flow through em1 - honest.

BillCardiff

Explorer
The HTPC is set to look for data on the IP of the second NIC, not at a reference to the server. By this I mean, the HTPC is looking for xxx.xxx.xxx.5 and NOT looking for \\stores\Movies

Last edited:

BillCardiff

Explorer
I have - and I understand it. I have it this way intentionally until I complete the subnet. The subnetting won't happen until I get my 8th drive to fill my controller. Then I will tear down this version of FreeNAS and rebuild the whole set up. As it sits, I can see the data flow as I posted, watching it flow from where I am intending it to flow from.

Status
Not open for further replies.