Winter is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitch

Dabbler
Howdy Storage Masters and Newbies! I bring you tidings from the great white north (Winnipeg, MB)

I'm a DevOps engineer during my working hours and at home after chasing kids a homelabber trying to build a solid experimentation lab and separate home network. I've been lurking for a few days, kept seeing FreeNAS recommended on /r/homelab and realized I couldn't follow a tutorial without signing up-so here I am!

I've got network segmentation done at the modem for my network and am running FreeNAS on two systems, a Dell R310 with 1x Xeon X3470, 16GB ECC RAM and 4x Seagate SAS 600GB 15k RPM drives. On my home network, it is running on an HP Microserver Gen8 with Xeon E3 1220L v2, 8GB ECC RAM and 1x Seagate SATA 4TB drive plus 2x WD Black SATA 2TB. I'll be looking to leverage iSCSI on the R310 for ESXi VMs running on its 32GB counterpart.

Initially I was trying to see about getting FreeNAS 10 going on the Microserver on top of ESXi using a variety of hacks (USB storage for VMware to allow for passthrough of the SATA)-but realized it was a lost cause (couldn't get the USB storage to reliably show up, only 8GB RAM) and just installed FreeNAS 10 on the MicroSD card. That took several hours to install. I had no end of problems (configuration disappeared overnight, couldn't re-add a removed volume to start over) so now I'm back at 9.10 and it installed in 5 minutes. I was really liking the UI and dashboard-but the speed issues were too much for now (I'd like to get the shares set up asap).

I am planning on swapping a 2nd 4TB drive in to mirror the 4TB drive-but I need to migrate the data off it to the FreeNAS first.

I'm hoping to use this to replace my existing Core2Quad with 8GB RAM desktop system running Ubuntu 16.04 with the file server being a KVM virtual machine running Ubuntu 16.04.

Status
Not open for further replies.