Nic not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanj

Cadet
Hi , I have installed freenas but the Ip address do not show and as far as I read up it appears that freenas is not supporting the ethernet card. It is an old dell inspiron 6400 laptop and it has a broadcom 440 x10/100 integrated nic.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Stephan

D

dlavigne

Post the output of ifconfig within code tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Orthogonal to your question, but the chances that any laptop is a good hardware choice for FreeNAS are close enough to zero as to make no difference. It might be OK to do some basic testing on, but not for any kind of real use.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Support for the vast majority of 10/100 Ethernet adapters was recently removed from FreeNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Having now looked at some specs for that model, I'd like to revise my previous post--that hardware is absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inappropriate for anything having to do with any recent (8.x or newer) version of FreeNAS, whether testing or production. Nothing about it--from the FSB, to the 2 GB Max RAM, to the 10/100 network interface--belongs on a FreeNAS box.

Long ago, I ran the product then called FreeNAS (and now called NAS4Free) on a Dell laptop with an external USB hard drive. I think even NAS4Free has evolved past something that would run well on this machine, but you might want to look into it just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.