Killer E2205 NIC HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackout

Cadet
Hi guys,

I bought the MSI Z87-GD65 mobo as it was on sale and noticed that the Killer E2205 gigabit lan controller is not detected by FreeNas (9.2.1.5). I am running this off the bootable USB device. I know the cable and NIC are fine as this worked on Kali 64bit.

Boot option message:
No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

none5@pci0:2:0:0:class=0x020000 card=0x78451462chip=0xe0911969rev=0x13hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Atheros Communications'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

dmesg | grep -i network
WARNING: VIMAGE (virtualized network stack) is a highly experimental feature.
pci2: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

ifconfig:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do know that an Intel chipset would do the trick but IF i can avoid having to buy a card I will try.

gpsguy

Why would you buy a gaming motherboard with no support for ECC RAM, if you were planning to install FreeNAS on it? And, it's got a pathetic Atheros NIC on it.

At this point, an OEM Intel Pro/1000, costing about $30 USD would be your best solution for a supported NIC.

Blackout

Cadet
My understanding is the killer manager is only applicable to windows. I don't care for the killer mgr or the killer technology. The qualcomm/atheros driver is what I was wondering about. If this would work (requiring work from my side) or not (buying a new card)

Blackout

Cadet
Why would you buy a gaming motherboard with no support for ECC RAM, if you were planning to install FreeNAS on it? And, it's got a pathetic Atheros NIC on it.

At this point, an OEM Intel Pro/1000, costing about $30 USD would be your best solution for a supported NIC.

Thanks gpsguy. I bought the board since it was cheap

solarisguy

Guru
Reading http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/Z87GD65_GAMING.html#hero-specification should give you a distinctive impression that it is a Windows gaming board without recommended ECC RAM. On the other hand, you had paid extra for the features that are not going to be even possibly used:
  • TPM
  • RAID (and you must hope that RAID can be fully disabled = made transparent)
  • Audio
  • HDMI
  • DVI
  • SLI
  • CrossFire
By the way, I like 8 SATA III ports and 64GB or RAM capabilities...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi guys,

I bought the MSI Z87-GD65 mobo as it was on sale and noticed that the Killer E2205 gigabit lan controller is not detected by FreeNas (9.2.1.5). I am running this off the bootable USB device. I know the cable and NIC are fine as this worked on Kali 64bit.

Boot option message:
No configured interfaces were found. Try to do it manually.

none5@pci0:2:0:0:class=0x020000 card=0x78451462chip=0xe0911969rev=0x13hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Atheros Communications'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

dmesg | grep -i network
WARNING: VIMAGE (virtualized network stack) is a highly experimental feature.
pci2: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

ifconfig:
ipfw0: flags=8801<UP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 65536
nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do know that an Intel chipset would do the trick but IF i can avoid having to buy a card I will try.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/so-you-want-some-hardware-suggestions.12276/

Piece of advice: Before using something, make sure you read the manual, especially if you're going to be paying.

Your board has the following problems:
  • It does not support ECC
  • It is loaded with junk (like audio and God knows what) you'll never use on a server
  • It has the biggest Piece of Shit GbE controller on Earth (In terms of pretending to be something awesome - at least the Realteks don't hide the fact that they suck), which isn't even supported under FreeBSD
Do yourself a favor and build a gaming system with that board, not a server.

As for the aforementioned GbE controller, unless you're going to write the driver, don't count on any support for that thing.

If, despite it all, you insist on using that motherboard, buy a PCI-e Intel GbE adapter and enjoy the most hassle-free network card you'll ever own, regardless of OS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We went through this a few weeks ago. Killer NICs are not supported under FreeBSD and most likely never will be.

Switch to the tried-and-true Intel NIC

hj0

Cadet
Bringing up an old thread sorry, but i attempted to install freenas on my old computer and of course it has a killer network card, guess the easy workaround would be to spend $30 on a intel NIC

Stux

MVP
Yep

hj0

Cadet
I think it's a shame freenas/FreeBSD or whoever has the power to put of a fix in to support killer cards won't do it. I under stand why you guys don't because it's the hardware I'm trying to use is an old gaming setup (no ecc memory support, ect ect) but I'm obviously not the only one with an old computer sitting around now doing nothing who would like to give freenas a try..... ubuntu finds the killer card but then if your not a *nix minded person, or new to using *nix (like myself) I ran into permission troubles setting up samba, plex and transmission) all plugins I can install from freenas I believe am I correct? I'll do some research about the motherboard and ram my old pc has see if it's ecc supported if it is I'll just Get the intel nic

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it's a shame freenas/FreeBSD or whoever has the power to put of a fix in to support killer cards won't do it.
I fully disagree. They're pure crap. The hardware is only slightly better than Realtek, but the driver support is even worse.

setting up samba, plex and transmission) all plugins I can install from freenas I believe am I correct?
More or less. Let's call it a yes.

I think it's a shame freenas/FreeBSD or whoever has the power to put of a fix in to support killer cards won't do it. I under stand why you guys don't because it's the hardware I'm trying to use is an old gaming setup (no ecc memory support, ect ect) but I'm obviously not the only one with an old computer sitting around now doing nothing who would like to give freenas a try..... ubuntu finds the killer card but then if your not a *nix minded person, or new to using *nix (like myself) I ran into permission troubles setting up samba, plex and transmission) all plugins I can install from freenas I believe am I correct?

It's not just the FreeBSD group that has to support it, the manufacturer has to release some code so it can work. Most of the time when the manufacturer releases the necessary code someone will pick it up and get things rolling. FreeBSD is also much more server centric, you can do a full desktop install and there are builds that are available which will install everything needed for a full desktop environment but this works better on a workstation board that is very similar to a server board. When you take something that has was designed around windows (gaming board) and ask it to work as a server you are inviting issues to follow you around.

As far as FreeNAS not supporting it, well unless the FreeBSD it is based on supports it it's just not going to happen so refer to the above again if you still do not understand it.

As far as will it install and do some stuff, sure but it's not right and you will need a different network card to do much with it.

Reactions: hj0

hj0

Cadet
It's not just the FreeBSD group that has to support it, the manufacturer has to release some code so it can work. Most of the time when the manufacturer releases the necessary code someone will pick it up and get things rolling. FreeBSD is also much more server centric, you can do a full desktop install and there are builds that are available which will install everything needed for a full desktop environment but this works better on a workstation board that is very similar to a server board. When you take something that has was designed around windows (gaming board) and ask it to work as a server you are inviting issues to follow you around.

As far as FreeNAS not supporting it, well unless the FreeBSD it is based on supports it it's just not going to happen so refer to the above again if you still do not understand it.

As far as will it install and do some stuff, sure but it's not right and you will need a different network card to do much with it.

yes understand 100%, even if i were to get an intel NIC, i just did a quick search on google and it tells me i have no support for ECC memory as well. thanks, ill think of some other way to reuse the old pc.

yes understand 100%, even if i were to get an intel NIC, i just did a quick search on google and it tells me i have no support for ECC memory as well. thanks, ill think of some other way to reuse the old pc.

I would suggest either a HTPC or a linux computer for something to mess around with or learn on. Otherwise give it to someone else who can use it, I do that a ton as there are still a lot of people out there who either have a lot older hardware or nothing at all. At least having something with an office suite will allow resumes and school work to be done add in some learning games if there will be kids around.

As far as a FreeNAS if you want to stay cheap start searching Ebay for some supermicro servers in your price range, you can troll the forums for information about the caveats but you can often get something that will do everything you need for 500 or so and then just add drives. The downfall is that the older hardware will use more power so if you have a high rate you will be better off getting something as new as you can afford.

Reactions: hj0

hj0

Cadet
I would suggest either a HTPC or a linux computer for something to mess around with or learn on. Otherwise give it to someone else who can use it, I do that a ton as there are still a lot of people out there who either have a lot older hardware or nothing at all. At least having something with an office suite will allow resumes and school work to be done add in some learning games if there will be kids around.

As far as a FreeNAS if you want to stay cheap start searching Ebay for some supermicro servers in your price range, you can troll the forums for information about the caveats but you can often get something that will do everything you need for 500 or so and then just add drives. The downfall is that the older hardware will use more power so if you have a high rate you will be better off getting something as new as you can afford.

thanks, im gonna lurk around the forums today, and look at the hardware requirements i need, then ill decide to search ebay or make a custom system just for freenas, what i wanted to change was my current setup with all my media on my gmaing pc, running win 10, plex server (for the tv's, tablets and other devices at home) just means this PC is always on

Last edited:
It would work, you would need to install FreeNAS to some USB drives.

I would not use the Hdd's at all.

It will be slow due to a slow memory and the cpu's using FSB. The Passmark for the CPU's together is around 5000 it would stream and transcode at least one stream of plex. Max RAM is 32GB so at a certain point you will have some limitations on expanding it.

I would look around some more and see what I could come across. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Supermic...445445?hash=item4b10cd6d05:g:P4MAAOSwjDZYi58~ would be a lot better option. Add drives and install FreeNAS to the internal SSD. The bad part is it will only accept 4 drives but some 4TB in a raidZ2 would still net just under 8TB of storage with two drive redundancy. If you could find something like that in a 2U or 3U it would be better.

Stux

MVP
1U means you should install ear muffs too ;)

1U means you should install ear muffs too ;)
ROFL, yeah unless you are deaf or hard of hearing. The one at my father's place is 1U with all the fans installed including a couple he added to the back panel somehow. He said he likes the noise and actually contemplated putting it in his bedroom. Luckily his wife is hard of hearing so she just takes her hearing aids out and is oblivious anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.