Intel Pro/1000 NIC did not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleBT

Dabbler
I'm trying to set up a new NAS using FreeNAS 8, but I have run into some problems. I'm using FreeNAS 8 because I need only a simple file server, and the requirements for the older version are much lower. I have an ASRock H81M-ITX board that uses an unsupported Qualcomm Atheros network interface, which I didn't realize until after I had built it, so I tried getting an Intel Pro/1000 CT NIC, which is on the FreeBSD list of supported cards for 8.0, but it didn't work. It is a PCI-e x1 card in a x16 slot, and to my knowledge this should work, but it came up with a weird screen when I booted. It was different from what comes up when it can't find a network interface, with the configuration options and what not, it just stopped booting and wouldn't do anything. Could this be a result of a faulty card? Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the screen before I removed the card and sent it back. When I tried booting again using the on-board NIC it went back to the configuration screen because no NIC was detected. In all my research since then, I am coming to the understanding that the set up with the Pro/1000 should have worked. Should I try another? Or does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?
Thanks in advance for any help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I could be wrong but I believe the H81M-ITX will only let you use a video card in the x16 slot.

KyleBT

Dabbler
That would really suck. I can't see anything to that effect on the ASRock site, I would think that would be a big loss for that board if they did that, especially if they didn't tell anybody. I also haven't seen anything about it in reviews. Any other ideas? Or, is there another way to get a network interface, say, using usb?

Edit:
I did just see a couple mentions on Newegg reviews, one person said the PCI-e would only work with a video card, but another said they used it for a USB 3.0 header. Maybe it's just a broken PCI slot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yet another example of why you don't buy desktop hardware for a server. ;P

KyleBT

Dabbler
Well maybe you're just lucky, but I've never worked any job where the budget bends to the will of the builder.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, but if the box can't even do its intended function (which yours doesn't unfortunately) you've got to make an alternative plan. Now you're in this situation where you have to buy something twice or just give up on FreeNAS. :(

This is why we recommend what we do. Start cutting corners and next thing you know you're box won't even do the one thing you want it to do. Cheaper to build it once with the right parts than build it twice. :(

Even once you get it fixed enough to get network access, there's no guarantee the hardware will be stable. The extra hardware put into desktop motherboards often conflicts with FreeNAS and you'll have a box that crashes every few days and the only fix is to get even more hardware.

So now you might actually have to buy 3 times to get 1 working box. It quickly turns into an exercise in futility, and I'm sure your time has value and you don't want to spend it troubleshooting a box that randomly crashes once its in production. :/

People have WAY more problems with the desktop hardware than with the server stuff. Generally speaking, it's almost always less expensive to buy the right stuff than buy the wrong stuff once (or more) and then the time for troubleshooting.

I've never worked at jobs where the budget bends to the will of the builder. I've worked jobs where the budget bends to what is properly required to do the job correctly the first time. I also don't like looking like a fool when I buy one setup, then need a new network card, then another motherboard, then different RAM, etc. Makes you look like an amateur after a while. ;)

KyleBT

Dabbler
Well, since I am now considering getting a new motherboard, what would you recommend? Socket 1150 and mini-ITX.

Also, there's no way in hell I am paying for a board that has a faulty PCI slot, so I'm still only buying one.

And lastly, I have the ability to work on this project without anybody really even knowing about it until I know it is working properly, so I don't have to look like a fool at work...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.