new with freenas need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moha1000a

Cadet
i am planing to build home server with hp brobook intel core I5 2410M 2.3 GHZ, 8GB DDR3 intel 82579V gigabit NIC
RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-RD4320StUS2 with 2Western Digital 3000 GB harddisk and DOVADO 4GR
Wireless-N 4G/LTE Gigabit USB Router
i was thinking of use whs 2011 but it dont support my NIC and no way to add another one
Is my intel 82579V supported with freenas?
is my hardware enough to get good home network to use it for multimedia streaming or I should add anything more?
I don't have good experience in networking but I want to learn
any advice thanks in advance

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yes all current intel NIC are in the kernel. Your hardware (CPU wise) is way more then enough, people run freenas on P4s without problems.
The key with ZFS is ram (the more the better), also make sure your RAID card isn't doing any sort of hardware RAID and is just passing the disks, you want zfs to handle everything. You also want to plan what your gonna do with your disks as zfs cant change number of disks in a vdev once created.

vdev = raidz/2 or disk or mirror
zpool = combination of 1 or more vdevs
datasets = virtual partitions created on top of zpools (can have different permissions/shares/compression levels)

moha1000a

Cadet
thanks for replying
but I dont have RAID card cause I Will use laptop

is it important? case I just want to use it for fun movies and not with VI data
I have hundreds of full HD movies songs and pictures
all of my family computers are laptops with windows 7
Samsung TV Sonny home Theatre and Xbox nothing more

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
yeah you don't need any sort of raid card. I was trying to say that you shouldn't use a raid card,and if you do turn hardware raid off.

gpsguy

How will you connect your RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-RD4320StUS2 to your laptop? eSATA?

Status
Not open for further replies.