Testing FreeNAS in VM and experiencing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibly

Cadet
I'm strongly considering using FreeNAS for a home server I'm planning, but I've never used it before so I set it up in VirtualBox to make sure I know the ropes before diving in headfirst. It seems like a good fit but I've hit two big problems and I don't know if it's because I'm running FreeNAS in a VM or if it's related to the way I've set things up.

1. I can set up shares just fine but when I'm copying files (from host machine) to the volume after about 2 gigs the connection between my computer and FreeNAS just ends and the WebGui becomes unresponsive. At this point I have to restart the VM.
  2. One of my main uses for the server would be Plex, but I can't get it to work in FreeNAS. Using the plugin I've had everything set up correctly as far as I can tell (the jail seems to be working, the storage is set up, the Plex service is running) but I've never been able to access Plex to finish setting it up. I've tried removing the plugin/jail and retrying several times with no success.
I've spent a while troubleshooting these issues and I haven't gotten anywhere. Any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated. My hardware is:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
  • RAM: 32GB (16 GB for the FreeNAS VM)
  • MB: Intel Corporation DZ77SL-50K
  • Network: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (Bridged Adapter for VM)
  • Storage: 5 x 59.63 GB from a 4 TB external drive in RAID-Z1

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Running FreeNAS as a VM complicates things because of network access. In VirtualBox, using bridged networking will help.

You don't mention which version of FreeNAS is being used.

Wibly

Cadet
Sorry. I'm using FreeNAS 11.1-U1. When initially setting things up I made sure to go into VirtualBox settings and change the network adapter to Bridged Adapter..

On a side note when I started my VM a few minutes ago to check on it, FreeNAS had reset for some reason. It isn't an issue as importing my volume was easy, but still pretty strange.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.