New to freenas, remote access like onedrive

ssmokeyy

Cadet
So I'm new to setting up a nas and have been all over the place. I tried to learn linux using ubuntu, linux mint but both times the remote software wouldn't load and there wasn't a ton of help and when I loaded the same software on windows 10 it worked. It was tonido. My problem with it is I dont know how safe it is to push my bussiness files using tonido to my windows server. So I looked at unraid and it looks sweet but not really easy for novice in nas like me. I have watched lots of videos and been reading on freenas and seems like there is huge support behind it and simple layout to understand. What I would like to do is have my freenas at home where I have a comcast extreme plan to back up my bussiness file from my shop that isn't on the same network. I haven't used ftp in over 10 years, min use with torrents, never used nextcloud. What would be the simplest way to make a folder on my bussiness pc that gets mirrored to my freenas? Thank u for the help and sorry for the long read. Freenas specs are
I7-6850k
16gb drr4 2800
Nvme 250gb
4 3tb drives wd red
Xfx rx 580 gpu
Asus deluxe 2 x99 mobo

garm

Wizard
If all you want is sync then resilio is relatively easy to set up and use. Nextcloud is equivalent (and in many ways superior) to onedrive, but it requires you to be something of a sysadmin sins there is a database and application to maintain.
If this is valuable data to your livelihood and outside your core competencies I suggest you look to buy a finished product

ssmokeyy

Cadet
I'm used to windows and have built over 20 pc's and fix every one windows pc around me just new to freenas and freebsd. I would like to learn it and control all my stuff. Other wise I would just pay more for more space from onedrive. Not trying to sound like a ass just telling to tell u my mindset. At the end of this I want to have a plex server , file storage for my family in and outside of my house and bussiness backup. I'm going to start off easy with just the bussiness backup and try to learn as I go. I have a pc I built for just trying new stuff out. Right now it had ubuntu on it and I will be installing freenas on it today to play with it and test it out before I put it on the server.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Sounds like you need to get into Nextcloud then.

garm

Wizard
Right now it had ubuntu on it and I will be installing freenas on it today to play with it and test it out before I put it on the server.
If you want to go down the Nextcloud route start here
You will want to harden your home network as well, proper enterprise grade firewall, separate networks for servers and casual clients, and I recommend putting a hardened reverse proxy in DMZ with access to the FreeNAS jail instead of exposing it directly to the internets.
Also, you will need a domain and public IP, carrier NAT will not work without additional components.

ssmokeyy

Cadet
I have a asus RT-ax88u is that not enough firewall protection for my little setup? Also it can handle VPN duties also. If not what products would u use in small setup like mine? Also why is there so much more work needed to remote a freenas box vs off the shelf box like sonology I never hear any one say get max protection for one of those.

ssmokeyy

Cadet
I also have a netgear gs748t that i used to use doing mining but now it's just in storage. Says it has advanced security functions not sure what it all has right now but i can look into it tonight.

garm

Wizard
asus RT-ax88u is that not enough firewall protection for my little setup?
Will it stand up to constant hammering once you point the domain to your home IP? Is it free from known vulnerabilities? Are new vulnerabilities patched quickly?
It doesn’t do vlan so you will not be able to separate your server from the rest of the network. you need security in layers, perimeter defense isn’t enough.

And in general I would stay away from gaming gear, especially when it comes to security.

Also it can handle VPN duties also
Well if you set up a tunnel and that gives you satisfactory performance it might be enough, but do you trust the implementation from asus?

Also why is there so much more work needed to remote a freenas box vs off the shelf box like sonology I never hear any one say get max protection for one of those
No clue, I wouldn’t touch one of those with a ten foot pole..
If not what products would u use in small setup like mine?
The smallest and most efficient device compatible with pfsense that meet your performance expectations, and a couple of managed switches from Netgear.

I also have a netgear gs748t that i used to use doing mining but now it's just in storage. Says it has advanced security functions
You need a stateful firewall and vlan capability for starters

ssmokeyy

Cadet
So i have been reading on the gs748t v5 Says it has vlan 10gbit fiber ports, lots of other protections. I will check on the stateful firewall tonight when i log into it. Is there any firewall hardware u like i should look into? Sounds like its not even save to use this asus router for wifi once i setup this new network. Kinda sucks this was a $400 router,switch, ax wifi