New FreeNAS setup but can't seem to set it up right with SMB

carlovdv

Cadet
Hello,

I am fairly new to FreeNAS and wanted to set it up as home server for my family and run a VM on it aswell. So basically I have followed a guide on how to set it up, but I somehow can't connect to the user folders.

Setup:
Processor: AMD Threadripper 1950x
Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (4 sticks running in quad channel)

How I am planning to use it:
So I primarely have 2 users that need access for now to the NAS. One of them should have admin rights.
They don't need to share files between each other they basically use it as backup or external storage.
I want each of them to have their own home directory and if possible limit the storage to 1TB-ish.

What have I done so far:
I've created a called HDD and a dataset called Home. In this dataset I gave access to a new "users" group that have Full Control.
I've added a user with my name and e-mail and checked Microsoft Account.
I enabled SMB.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro from a bussiness AzureAD/Office365 account.

Current situation:
The NAS is listed in my network and I can access the Home folder. However I can't access the User folder.

StoreMore

Dabbler
When setting up storage it sounds like you created the storage pool and enabled smb. Did you actually setup the share?

Here's a YouTube video from FreeNAS on how to configure this. https://youtu.be/mCfX4sqDmzs

I want each of them to have their own home directory and if possible limit the storage to 1TB-ish.
Read up on the FreeNAS User Guide regarding dataset quotas and reservations.

Here's a YouTube video from FreeNAS on how to configure this. https://youtu.be/mCfX4sqDmzs
There are lots of great resources out there; and unfortunately lots of bad ones too. I don't know about this video in particular but generally I suggest following the User Guide first.

Did you actually setup the share?
I second this; if you did not set up the share the system won't work as expected. The User Gudie has some great reading on how to enable and configure shares as a good start.

carlovdv

Cadet
Okay, so I followed the guide, however I can't connect I think Its client sided. Any help how I can login from windows?
It keeps asking for my current account's pin and if I press the link to connect with different credentials it only lets me use e-mail address to login.

More, specific, details would be helpful. Exact configuration, screenshots, code quotes etc are helpful.

carlovdv

Cadet
NAS1.png
NAS2.png
NAS3.png
NAS4.png
NAS5.png
PC1.png
PC2.png
PC3.png
PC4.png
PC5.png

StoreMore

Dabbler
Are you trying to mount an iocage jail as a windows share? I have never tried this setup before as you normally just mount the pool dataset. In any case if you are trying the jail did you assign the jail mount points which would be done under the jails menu at the left?

carlovdv

Cadet
Are you trying to mount an iocage jail as a windows share? I have never tried this setup before as you normally just mount the pool dataset. In any case if you are trying the jail did you assign the jail mount points which would be done under the jails menu at the left?
No, I am not doing anything with jailing. Just before I made these screenshots I just wanted to see what it does. I am using windowset like the video told me.

NugentS

MVP
Not sure if this is relevant - I am evaluating FreeNAS at the moment and found a few gotchas setting up shares.
I do this by:
1. Set up an SMB dataset (I call it SMB) under which I set up datasets for any actual shares I want (Install, Cat, Dog)
2. Share the Install, Cat, Dog out
3. In permissions (Storage) using ACL's to:
a. Give specific permissions to the Install, Cat & Dog Datasets as required
b. Give everyone permission to the SMB dataset - do not recurse this.

This seems to work.
No idea about Quota's yet
Caveat - I am using a AD Domain to authenticate against