New to Freenas: are these issues bugs or features?

houruomu

Cadet
I just built a FreeNAS for myself one month ago. So far, I encountered the following problems which I couldn't solve. Although I hacked through some of these problems, it is still quite painful to use. I wish to ask whether these are expected behaviors or bugs to be solved, or am I missing something? I am referring to FreeNas 11.2

1. Plugin installation not atomic (may fail partially)
When I try to install a plugin, and if it failed due to network or permission failures, the installation does not give any warning and finishes silently.
2. Unable setting up VPN (server/client) in jails
When I setup VPN's like openvpn client or server in the jails, it is very difficult and require a lot of hackish commands which do not make sense to me.
3. zerotier not installed as a service and profile lost after restart
It is great that zerotier is pre-installed on FreeNas. However, when the server reboots, not only I need to start the program manually every time, but all the credentials and configurations of zerotier will be lost.
4. unable to hide all the user/groups created by the system
For a new user like me, when I look at the user/group management page, the huge amount of system default users and groups really confuses me and the users defined by me could be burrowed into those default users.
5. default emby plugin has library problem when streaming
The 11.2 freebsd is not compatible with the default emby plugin, and web streaming is not supported
6. very often plugin crash with no obvious reason (qbittorrent / emby)
Just within this month, the plugins have crashed 5-7 times and I could not understand why, and I have to restart the jail (although the plugin is indicated "up" on WebUI)
7. unable to use pkg in the shell
pkg install just does not work in the shell.
8. netbios is unstable
In my network, there are many windows machines, while they can all see each other, but FreeNas is hidden from many of the clients.
9. wifi / printing difficult to setup
10. Jails have separate access control database from the host

This created a lot of trouble setting up correct permission for mounted storages. I need to create a group / user of the same GID/UID in the host and manually synchronize the groups/users between the jails and the host to keep the access control working.

danb35

Hall of Famer
3. zerotier not installed as a service and profile lost after restart
Unfortunately, the devs don't seem to be in the least interested in fixing this--just installing the CLI binary is as far as they're willing to go in their half-baked implementation.
4. unable to hide all the user/groups created by the system
I wouldn't consider this a "bug", though it might be nice to have. A feature request on bugs.freenas.org for this wouldn't be a bad idea, if there isn't one already.
5. default emby plugin has library problem when streaming
That sounds like a bug against the plugin.
7. unable to use pkg in the shell
You shouldn't--you should never be installing software in the base FreeNAS system. That's what jails are for.
8. netbios is unstable
Windows sucks. Map network shares by IP address.
9. wifi / printing difficult to setup
Where would you be setting up wifi or printing in FreeNAS?
10. Jails have separate access control database from the host
This is by design.