Bugs in 8.3 p1? or a setting I somehow missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memnoch

Dabbler
Ok, so I just switched to 8.3 p1 because of issues with the niginx bug. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the tree to the left of the screen and the ability to change the admin password. Also issues importing my zpool... but I think that's me just forgetting something (so ignore that lol, I'll RTFM for that one ;) ) Anyway attached is a screen shot of the missing tree. Clicking on expand or collapse all has no effect.

Suggestions anyone?

Capture.jpg

toddos

Contributor
Don't use IE. There's a dojo bug(?) that makes the treeview control not render in IE. It should work fine in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.

Memnoch

Dabbler
Thanks for the response! I have to ask though, seriously IE is the issue? I'll see who has a Win 8 compatible browser... Guessing it's only an issue with 8.3 p1 and/or IE10? I've only ever used IE9 up until last week.

Other than release notes (didn't see an IE issue but I will admit, I was skimming), is there anywhere a list of known bugs is listed?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It seriously is an IE only issue. People have had the problem and as soon as they try ANY other browser the issue goes away. This isn't listed as a bug in the tickets because the issue is considered to be a MS bug and not fixable. It's not exactly rare for IE to do really screwed up stuff and not follow the established standards.

toddos

Contributor
It seriously is an IE only issue. People have had the problem and as soon as they try ANY other browser the issue goes away. This isn't listed as a bug in the tickets because the issue is considered to be a MS bug and not fixable.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in FreeNAS or a bug in Dojo (Dojo tree samples don't run properly in IE). What's interesting is that if I enable the script debugger in IE (in the F12 tools) the tree renders just fine. I suspect this is probably a script include ordering issue, probably in Dojo itself.

It's not exactly rare for IE to do really screwed up stuff and not follow the established standards.

While that's true of IE < 9, it's a bit of a cop-out for 9 and 10. There's no reason a tree control like this shouldn't render in IE, and it's sloppy of the toolkit not to fix it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
While that's true of IE < 9, it's a bit of a cop-out for 9 and 10. There's no reason a tree control like this shouldn't render in IE, and it's sloppy of the toolkit not to fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure who is to blame for the exact issue. MS is world renowned for not following standards(and often trying to invent and push their own because they don't like the standard) but since IE is the only one with the problem I tend to think its an IE problem on MS's end than anything else. Of course, it is possible(very unlikely imo) that MS is the only one following the hard and fast standard and the other browsers allow for some weird stuff that FreeNAS just happens to use.

Considering MSes past, I'd be willing to bet money it's an IE issue though.

toddos

Contributor
Yeah, I'm not sure who is to blame for the exact issue. MS is world renowned for not following standards(and often trying to invent and push their own because they don't like the standard) but since IE is the only one with the problem I tend to think its an IE problem on MS's end than anything else. Of course, it is possible(very unlikely imo) that MS is the only one following the hard and fast standard and the other browsers allow for some weird stuff that FreeNAS just happens to use.

Considering MSes past, I'd be willing to bet money it's an IE issue though.

You're conflating MS's behavior pre-IE 7 with their behavior post. In fact, they've done a complete 180 and have gone as far as to refuse to implement non-standard functionality (WebM support, for example -- it's not required by the HTML5 spec, so they won't do it). As I mentioned, I suspect what's happening here is that Dojo is including scripts in an odd non-standard order that doesn't seem to cause problems in Gecko and Webkit, but with IE's new focus on standards compliance it causes issues. When you drop into debug mode, the debugger likely alters the order of script loads (resulting in so-called heisenbugs) which then causes the tree to work.

It's a bug in Dojo, and Dojo should fix it. Whether they will, and whether the fix will make it into FreeNAS, is a completely different issue.

Memnoch

Dabbler
As I mentioned, I suspect what's happening here is that Dojo is including scripts in an odd non-standard order that doesn't seem to cause problems in Gecko and Webkit, but with IE's new focus on standards compliance it causes issues. When you drop into debug mode, the debugger likely alters the order of script loads (resulting in so-called heisenbugs) which then causes the tree to work.

I would even go so far to say your suspicions are correct... Went to Developer Tools and started debugging in the FreeNAS WebUI, instantly the tree came up and I didn't have any issues with changing the admin password or any other setting. Before this all it would do is sit there "loading" or "saving" anytime I made a change. This was in Windows 8 Pro with IE10...

So, this begs the big question then... do I continue to just run the FreeNAS WebUI in debugging mode until there's some type of permanent fix? or could that potentially lead to problems? I'm slowly learning shell (was damn proud when I figured out how to delete directories all by myself a month and a half ago lmao!) and have no "fear" of using SSH for major changes, just something new to learn... Personally I just don't like having to use multiple programs to do the same thing and would prefer to only use IE if possible... that said if it could lead to an issue always being run in debugging mode then I'll suck it up and install another browser purely for FreeNAS.

So the script that's being debugged it little better than gibberish to me, but if anyone would like, let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks again!

Memnoch

Dabbler
Alright, Skip that last... Going to have to look at a different browser if that's going to fix the WebUI bugs... just tried changing permissions on the ZFS Volume and configuring a CIFS share. Most of my mouse clicks did nothing but pop up an error in the Debugging window. Even the check box for Allow Guest Access popped up an error and even before that the Only Allow Guest Access was greyed out.

On the plus side creating the Guest Account and importing the zpool went smoothly!

toddos

Contributor
Alright, Skip that last... Going to have to look at a different browser if that's going to fix the WebUI bugs... just tried changing permissions on the ZFS Volume and configuring a CIFS share. Most of my mouse clicks did nothing but pop up an error in the Debugging window. Even the check box for Allow Guest Access popped up an error and even before that the Only Allow Guest Access was greyed out.

On the plus side creating the Guest Account and importing the zpool went smoothly!

The treeview one I think is very specifically a Dojo bug (the UI toolkit FreeNAS uses). The others sound like legitimate FreeNAS bugs on IE, since as far as I'm aware the FreeNAS devs don't support IE as a target. They could, and they probably should, but they don't. Install Chrome or Firefox.

Memnoch

Dabbler
Yeah, figured that's the case. Installed Firefox and started doing the initial configuration when all of a sudden it became unresponsive. That's when I noticed in the footer that the system had somehow got the "shutdown -p now" command... no clue where from since I wasn't anywhere near a CLI and hadn't hit the shutdown or reboot buttons.

Anyway, now I have bigger issues... the system won't even boot now and no clue why. Only gets as far as "Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf" then sit's there with the cursor flashing under a symbol that looks like an "l" with a black line through it. Going to try re writing the img to the USB drive and see if it helps.

Memnoch

Dabbler
So just a quick update, writing the FreeNAS image to the same USB drive made it so I could access everything. Unfortunately I've had to do it a few times now... anytime the system loses power, reboots, shuts down, ect... it has the same issue mentioned above.

Something new since updating to p1 though is Windows Media Center has a difficult time finding the movies on the FreeNAS drive (CIFS share) where as it never happened before. So I picked up a new Intel gigabit card to maybe help the situation and for the life of me I can't get it to work...

Long come short of it, while I do want to learn Unix in a way that is also useful to me... I need a more "family friendly" solution than FreeNAS seems capable of delivering consistently. With that in mind I'll be making the switch to Windows Server 2012 Essentials in the next week (already have the disk, just not the time) and running FreeBSD in Hyper-V for learning.

Thanks to all the people that helped me out here, there was more here than you'll know.

Status
Not open for further replies.