New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scansterz

Dabbler
Well, that's the center of my question since I have a 64-bit cpu... wondering why they are not on the list.

scansterz

Dabbler
HEY! Probably cuz I don't know what the heck I'm doin? I upgraded from an old install - and and new moBo and... hmm... could that be the prob? Let me chack a few things.
--
EDIT:
WOW, I just downloaded it again, rebuilt the USB boot drive and 'viola' 'geepers' and 'shebang'... fixed.
Thanks for noticing and looking at the trees instead of the forest!
-Scan
(don't know how I missed picking up the 64bit install the first time - probably the upgrade)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
HEY! Probably cuz I don't know what the heck I'm doin?

If that's the case you should be slowing down. If you want to do this like a "race car in the red" you'll have a great working server until one day when you wake up and go check your server and find all of your data is irretrievably lost. Yes, this happens with alarming regularity. And it most often happens to people that didn't take the time to learn what they are doing.

rjgould

Dabbler
Not sure what you mean. http://www.appcafe.org/freenas and the plugins menu are the same - they pull the same bits. What plugins are "older?" If there is some upstream location we should periodically poll to get updates from, let us know (please try to be specific or we may google for a different result) and we'll refresh the plugin(s) in question. Thanks!
Howdy jkh, freshports has Plex at version 0.9.8.10.215 now - http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/plexmediaserver/

Any chance of an updated PBI please?

J

jkh

Thanks for the FYI - we'll get on that! P.S. please also feel free to file such requests on bugs.freenas.org so they don't get lost in the forums (and also so more people than just me see the request and have the chance to act on it).

Longer-term, we're working on some automation for the plugins system that builds them every night and copies newer versions up without human intervention. Still some kinks to work out with that though, not least of which the fact that we don't want to blast a good plugin with a bad one through automation! Sometimes upgrades... aren't.

Apropos, lots of good new plugins in the collection - check 'em out!

scansterz

Dabbler
Hi, I'm back. I have a 'Bug' or a help request. Scenario. Since the last writing - yes, I reinstalled the correct 64bit OS and Plex installed, configured and ran just fine. That was at work and on network 10.1.10.x ... now when I bring the thing home; I change the jails conf to the home network: 192.168.x.x Plex does not start. I dug in all the config areas. Plex plugin will not start. The jail says ok, I've even configured ownCloud as a test to make sure plugins are working - they are... so the jails dhcp range is working and I can access ownCloud... not so with Plex. Plex will not start. So then I have deleted it all (once it would not delete even) so I trashed the jails dataset, stopped, started FreeNAS and rebuilt it all again from scratch. ownCloud installs and works... Plex no go.. not even in the new Jails data set I created. Hmmm.... what's the key to make this clean again? - scan

rjgould

Dabbler
Thanks for the FYI - we'll get on that! P.S. please also feel free to file such requests on bugs.freenas.org so they don't get lost in the forums (and also so more people than just me see the request and have the chance to act on it).

Longer-term, we're working on some automation for the plugins system that builds them every night and copies newer versions up without human intervention. Still some kinks to work out with that though, not least of which the fact that we don't want to blast a good plugin with a bad one through automation! Sometimes upgrades... aren't.

Apropos, lots of good new plugins in the collection - check 'em out!
Awesome, duly noted about bugs.fn as well :)

benamira

Explorer
Just FYI.
There is a new Plex Media Server version. Version 0.9.8.14.263-139ddbc
What will be the process when the upgrade was available?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd wait for 9.2.0. It should be a "one-click" update if everything works.

benamira

Explorer
That Would be great!!!
I can not imagine better combination.
The very best of both worlds at least for my use case.

Thanks for all the great Work and cyberjock for keeping the Forum as active as it is.

kckopp

Dabbler
The FreeNAS Team has updated the Plex Media Server plugin to 0.9.8.14.263, latest public, with support for Chromecast.

Thanks to The FreeNAS Team for awesome support!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're welcome!

benamira

Explorer
Great!! I have currently installed the previous version.
What would be the correct procedure to upgrade?? Of course keeping all the config...
Thanks!!!

kckopp

Dabbler
Great!! I have currently installed the previous version.
What would be the correct procedure to upgrade?? Of course keeping all the config...
Thanks!!!

As cyberjock had pointed out one click updates are expected with FreeNAS 9.2.0 release.

In the meantime if you want to upgrade and keep your Plex config/metadata/etc. you need to employ a method to keep your config (/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/ ) from your current Plex jail.

So, if you were going to head down the path of deleting the current plugin and installing the latest, you might just copy the data out before deletion and bring it back in the new install. The method I have been using is to keep the config outside of the jail and mount then symlink with each new Plex jail install.

benamira

Explorer
Ok thanks for the quick reply!
Could you explain how to modify to get the PMS DB out of the jail and setting the symlink... i like this approach to keep all the data safe and make it easier backup and upgrades.

scottfreeze

Cadet
Hi all,
Has anyone successfully used the "update" function in 9.2-RC2 to update the plex plugin to the new Version 0.9.8.14.263-139ddbc? Mine has been hanging at "Updating plugin" for about 25 minutes. Is it "normal" for PBI updates to take a while? (I put normal in quotes because I know it's a brand-new feature in a not-yet-released FreeNAS version).
Thanks in advance!
-Freeze

Edit:
It took about 2 hours, but the in-place update of the Plex plugin appears to have worked! I had to add the sources to the library again from the PlexWeb interface, but the rest of the configuration (jail, storage mounts, etc) appears to be in order. My thanks to the FreeNAS team for excellent implementation of the in-place upgrade capability, and to those who ported over the Plex plugin!

sbec67

Dabbler
I tried it.. it worked (at least it didnt bring up any Error) .. but then the PLEX Plugin didnt start up
/var/log/message sayd something like
setpriority root permission denied
I now deleted / reinstall the Plugin.. lets look if it works

Regards

ThreeDee

Guru
I tried it.. it worked (at least it didnt bring up any Error) .. but then the PLEX Plugin didnt start up
/var/log/message sayd something like

I now deleted / reinstall the Plugin.. lets look if it works

Regards

That's what I ended up doing to "update" the plex server plug in for the new 9.2 RC .. working great.. had I left it for 2 hours like the above poster .. perhaps it would have updated via the update button. I didn't have the patience unfortunately ..

Status
Not open for further replies.