New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
OMG 16TB Plex database? What's your media library size then, I'm just curious?

My db is around 2.5GB. Plex plugin updated in 30 minutes approximately.

Opps never report well in hospital :) that's 16tb of media and the database 9.67gb.

Magnus33

Patron
Its unfortunately painful clear at this point that the plex update process is broken and needs to be disabled tell the bugs can be ironed.

Even a apparently successful upgrade often fails shortly after.

I think the big problem is they ask people for help but those very same people what to run plex so they need to delete and install or break plex by trying the upgrade process.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Its unfortunately painful clear at this point that the plex update process is broken and needs to be disabled tell the bugs can be ironed.

Even a apparently successful upgrade often fails shortly after.

I think the big problem is they ask people for help but those very same people what to run plex so they need to delete and install or break plex by trying the upgrade process.

Probably.. and that's what snapshots are for! But eh, who am I except some guy that knew problems like this would happen so I deliberately kept my Plex Server on my Linux box.. ;)

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
the last update worked fine for me and i've had 0 issues. yea, it took 45 mins to update (which is a little excessive for what amounts to and update of the plexmediaserver folder, and i had to clean up the compressed .bz2 backups to get back space, but it did work for me.

that said, in a similar vein as cyberjock, i'm starting to think itll just be easier (long term) to create a new port jail, install the official latest FreeBSD version of Plex in that jail, copy the database over from the plugin jail and then just manage plex updates manually as i was doing with the steps provided a few pages back. the my OCD wont flair up every time the "Update" button appears for the plugin.

i dunno, i haven't had my coffee yet today so maybe im oversimplifying it.

Magnus33

Patron
I to had a update that worked apparently but after a few days it crashed and burned so its still very hit and miss.

Like cyberjock i got a backup on my plex off the freenas box since i simply don't trust the plugin at this point.

Snapshots do help but they aren't the whole story and as of now the plex update fails for more people then it works.

The update function should be frozen tell it can be made functional if for no better reason then most of us have the OCD part that just really wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest. :)

mstinaff

Dabbler
My 2 cents again. The little upgrade script I threw together still works for me.

Would anyone be interested if I were to flesh the script out more? Where would be the right place to post it?

And I agree with cyberjock entirely about snapshots.

Magnus33

Patron
I am sure many would be interested as its very fast and effective.

You may end up with the guys in charge looking at it since it seems to work every time and if they can get the system to update when plex does so much the better.
As long as we can update and keep the database intact we are laughing.

Snapshots are a must but as a learned through the years they are just one part along with hardwork, luck and the occasional aha moment well sitting on the toilet. :)

Wolfeman0101

Patron
My 2 cents again. The little upgrade script I threw together still works for me.

Would anyone be interested if I were to flesh the script out more? Where would be the right place to post it?

Where do you place the PlexUpdate.sh script? In the Plex jail obviously but in /etc/ or does it not matter?

I'm getting an error using your script.

Code:
Error downloading https://plex.tv/downloads?channel=plexpass

mstinaff

Dabbler
It should not matter where the script is located as long as it has write access to /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share

My guess is that your username and/or password have spaces or other special characters and that it is confusing this line of the script

DOWNLOADPAGE=`curl -m 5 -silent -u $USERNAME:$PASSWORD $URL`

try running the following at the Jail command line and see what it spits out:

# curl -m 5 -u yourusername:yourpass https://plex.tv/downloads?channel=plexpass

Lukas

Dabbler
I have a strange other issue with the current version of the Plex plugin. Just did a fresh install and the jail doesn't seem to get any connection to the internet. All HTTP requests time out. Also I just checked, my default gateway is still set.
Someone got an idea what this could be?

GaiusBaltar

Explorer

your script (modified for me minus the plexpass part since i don't have plexpass. i really should get it....) worked like a charm. 9.9.7.429 was just released to the public and i've successfully updated from 9.9.5.x.

BatterseaPS

Cadet
Having a little problem with the current version (0.9.9.5.411_1). It installs fine but when I try to add media sections in the Plex Web app, I click "Save" and nothing happens. From Googling, it seems I have to delete the framework. and system. bundles from

/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins

However, I'm connected to that folder via CIFS or SMB and I don't have permission to change that directory, even though I'm the owner.

The weird thing is that those same bundles are in:

/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

and I can delete those, but they rebuild and I still have the same issue of not being able to add media sections.

Any help for a command line-ignorant newbie? Should I try mstinaff's script? How do I work out the permissions issue?

raidflex

Guru
I have updated the plugin 3-4 times without issue. I wonder if people are not letting the updating finish because it looks like its stuck at 50% and thus it is performing an incomplete update.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know.. I'm just about to the point of showing all of you how easy the updating process is by installing plex in a jail JUST to prove that the update function works. Not to sound like a whiny bitch, but I'm really tired of the complaints about the updates working, then not working, then working. LOL.

I am a whiny bitch though. ;)

raidflex

Guru
You know.. I'm just about to the point of showing all of you how easy the updating process is by installing plex in a jail JUST to prove that the update function works. Not to sound like a whiny bitch, but I'm really tired of the complaints about the updates working, then not working, then working. LOL.

But you make a good point. :D

tslewis99

Dabbler
It should not matter where the script is located as long as it has write access to /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share

My guess is that your username and/or password have spaces or other special characters and that it is confusing this line of the script

DOWNLOADPAGE=`curl -m 5 -silent -u $USERNAME:$PASSWORD $URL`

try running the following at the Jail command line and see what it spits out:

# curl -m 5 -u yourusername:yourpass https://plex.tv/downloads?channel=plexpass

Tried this and I don't have curl as part of my jail:

jexec 1 csh
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # curl
curl: Command not found.

What am I doing wrong?

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
Tried this and I don't have curl as part of my jail:

jexec 1 csh
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # curl
curl: Command not found.

What am I doing wrong?

the curl command is not installed by default in the jail.

from within the jail, install it with pkg:
Code:
pkg install curl

GaiusBaltar

Explorer

it does work. it's just time consuming compared to other plugin updates, and becomes longer as one's collection (and thus plex db) grows.
i think a lot of people just don't realize (myself included initially) that it takes a long time since the update function is backing up the entire jail (which means the plex database) which can be several GB in size. that process takes time before installing the updates to the jail. therefore when it appears "stuck" at ~50% for several minutes (or even hrs for some), they (again, myself included) may think the update is broken when in fact, it's still humming along creating the backups.

tslewis99

Dabbler
I assumed as much but thought I might be missing something because nobody else mentioned needing to install curl to get mstinaff's PlexUpdate.sh script to work.

Thanks

Magnus33

Patron
It should be excluding the database from change no backing it up.
A regular plex install doesn't back the database up it merely ignores it since nothing in its going to be changed and remounts it when done..

I don't thing the current method is going to work the larger things get .
The more complicated it gets the bigger risk of something breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.