New Multi-Actuator Hard Drives from Seagate

robbiek01

Cadet
I wouldn't mind seeing a smartctl and dmesg output here. It might be a case of the middleware only presenting the first LU.

Is there a potential to try this drive under a different OS (TN SCALE perhaps, or a live Linux distro) in case it's a matter of a driver/kernel needing to speak to two LUs behind one SAS device?

If not, then there might be enterprising/crazy individuals here who'd be interested in picking one up to experiment with themselves.
How do i preform a smartctl and dmesg on TrueNas, I will try on Live USB during the week

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
How do i preform a smartctl and dmesg on TrueNas, I will try on Live USB during the week

SSH into the unit, and then run the commands from the shell.

smartctl -a /dev/daX (where X is the device number of a drive, such as da0) and then copy the results from the text window.

For dmesg because of length it might be easier to direct it to a text file on a folder that you can access, such as running dmesg > /mnt/pool/dataset/dmesg-2022-10-24-1200h.txt

When pasting it here please use [CODE][/CODE] brackets, or attach a text file directly.

blackwing

Dabbler
@robbiek01 - was wondering how is your set-up with dual actuator was? I have a dell PE R730XD with HBA330 on IT mode and was able to detect both LUN, but the issue that I am getting is when I tried to delete an empty pool and then create a new it wont detect all of the drive, Like is I have 8 of this drive and create 2 separate pool /dev/da0 and /dev/da1 will be use on separate pool and so on and once pool is deleted the TrueNas Core will only see the odd number drive like /dev/da1 or da3 and then the even numbers like da2 wont show up but all of this drive can be seen on /dev. Did you experience that as well? and possibly solve it?