New M1015 cards installed, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
With respect to the bash comment, try this...

Code:
#! /bin/bash
i=1
 while [ ${i} -lt 25 ]; do
 dd if=/dev/da${i} of=/dev/null bs=1048576 &
 i=`expr ${i} + 1`
 done

And you can call the file almost anything you want, I personally use name.sh and depending on how it's to be run I will
Code:
chmod+x name.sh
so it's executable, but that shouldn't be required to make your file work. To run it type
Code:
sh name.sh

tstorzuk

Explorer
Please please please, go read something about the command line and unix before going any further.
Yup, I've been trying to. Starting with making a file in FreeBSD
The ONLY options that I have been able to find are
touch
emacs

touch doesn't allow me to make any files because the file system is set to Read-only
emacs command doesn't exist

I have searched and searched trying to find out any other way to make a file. Once I figure that out, I'll be able to vi or ee into it to add the code into it. Then I'll be able to chmod it to make it useable as a script or executable.

I'm starting to think I should try copying a file instead of trying to create one. Then I might be able to go into the file and edit what's inside it. At least I can find information about how to copy a file in FreeBSD and Unix. Creating a file.....nothing but the two options above.

There's a certain assumed level of knowledge when someone suggests a shell script for a certain task.
I'm listed as a junior member, and had ~10 posts when I started this thread. What's that quote about assumptions?

That being said, if all you want to do is wipe your drives before using them, the GUI supports that. Go to 'view disks', choose 'wipe' on the disk in question, and pick either 'full with zeros' or 'full with random data'.
Will that give me any information back once it has completed as to how long it takes to fill each disk with zeros or random data?
Do I have to run it on each individual disk, one at a time or can I run it in parallel on several drives?

joeschmuck; Thanks for trying to help, but without reading 'something' about the command line, I'll never be able to create a file. Without being able to create a file, I won't be able to add your bash script into it, and I won't be able to chmod to change the permissions on the file.

I don't know what 'something' to go read, because every Google search I've performed only gave me a very limited options.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30863&seqNum=5 - web page that gave me the touch option of creating a new file. To make it work, I probably have to chmod an entire directory
http://doors.stanford.edu/~sr/computing/basic-unix.html - web page that gave me the emacs option of creating and editing a file
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/new-users/article.html#other-useful-commands - scoured this resource for how to create a file, nothing
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/basics.html - went through this and found nothing about creating a file either

The funny thing is, most everything in these resources are so similar to DOS.....I just wish one of them let me in on the secret on how to create a file. In comparison, you do a quick Google search for how to make a file in DOS, and BAM!!! You get this;

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000398.htm

jgreco

Resident Grinch
oh for chrissakes, you're working with a fscking FILE SERVER. share out a volume to your favorite platform where you actually know how to create a file and then create your file using your favorite tools.

titan_rw

Guru
I'm listed as a junior member, and had ~10 posts when I started this thread. What's that quote about assumptions?

Just because someone is new to freenas doesn't mean they've never used a unix command line before.

And just because someones never used unix / bsd before doesn't mean they won't be quite comfortable on the command line.

Previous to using freenas, I had almost zero experience with bsd. However I have been using linux since about 1993. Felt right at home with the command line on freenas.

If you must create scrips on the freenas root partition itself, then remount root read write, create the script, chmod it, and run it. This is how I would do it. Remember, "there's more than one way to do it".

Code:
# mount -o rw /
# nano myscript
# chmod +x myscript
# ./myscript

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you must create scrips on the freenas root partition itself, then remount root read write, create the script, chmod it, and run it. This is how I would do it. Remember, "there's more than one way to do it".

Code:
# mount -o rw /
# nano myscript
# chmod +x myscript
# ./myscript

And this is ALL in the FAQ(and I believe in the manual) and documented all over the place in the forums.. so remind me why we are having to repost this again and again?

Status
Not open for further replies.