SOLVED New installation 9.10.1-STABLE, DNS does not resolve properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathank1989

Contributor
I'm testing 9.10.1 on a VirtualBox
I have the bridged network adapter enabled em0
When I install on a new box, set a static IP and manually add DNS servers, I only get partial resolves.

IPv4 Address: 10.0.0.13
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Router IP 10.0.0.1
DHCP Disabled
DNS local
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

ping google.com works
ping bing.com works
ping yahoo.com works
ping microsoft.com NOTHING
ping freenas.org NOTHING
ping my own website NOTHING
ping router Works
ping other LAN addresses works

dig @10.0.0.1 microsoft.com yields a full answer report. same with other dig reports on other ping addresses that failed, and with my other DNSs.

This is a big issue, because I cannot use pkg in any of my jails because of DNS failure.

This has to be a 9.10.1 issue as I have done 3 clean installs on VirtualBox, and when I was on 9.2.1.8 I had absolutely no problems. So much so, I may seriously thiking about going back to 9.2.1.8

I am out of ideas and my frustration has hit its peak...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm testing 9.10.1 on a VirtualBox
I have the bridged network adapter enabled em0
When I install on a new box, set a static IP and manually add DNS servers, I only get partial resolves.

IPv4 Address: 10.0.0.13
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Router IP 10.0.0.1
DHCP Disabled
DNS local
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

ping google.com works
ping bing.com works
ping yahoo.com works
ping freenas.org NOTHING
ping my own website NOTHING
ping router Works
ping other LAN addresses works

dig @10.0.0.1 microsoft.com yields a full answer report. same with other dig reports on other ping addresses that failed, and with my other DNSs.

This is a big issue, because I cannot use pkg in any of my jails because of DNS failure.

This has to be a 9.10.1 issue as I have done 3 clean installs on VirtualBox, and when I was on 9.2.1.8 I had absolutely no problems. So much so, I may seriously thiking about going back to 9.2.1.8

I am out of ideas and my frustration has hit its peak...
FWIW, I run v 9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351) on my production systems. This is the version prior to the latest 9.10.1 release, which has exhibited enough problems that I am holding off on updating until the next 'bug' fix. You might try downloading and trying this version in VirtualBox.

However, I do have a FreeNAS 9.10.1 (d989edd) VM installed under VirtualBox v4.3.28 r100309. I have configured its network much like yours, with a static IP plus my router and Google's nameservers set up as the three DNS resolvers.

Do you get the same or different results when you ping the same set of sites from other systems on your network?

I can successfully ping every site you mentioned -- except your site, of course (because I don't know the URL), and Microsoft's. But microsoft.com does resolve, and I'm unable to successfully ping microsoft.com from any of my servers or workstations, not just this VirtualBox VM. I believe that Microsoft configures their system to ignore ICMP ping requests.

What version of VirtualBox are you using? Do you have 'Promiscuous Mode' set to 'Allow All' for the FreeNAS VM? Here are my settings:
vbox-freenas-network-settings.jpg

When you tested FreeNAS 9.2.1.8, did you test it on hardware or in VirtualBox? How much RAM have you allocated to the VirtualBox VM?

Also, we may be better able to help you if you'll tell us your router model and the brand and model of NIC in your VirtualBox host system.

If you've been having problems with pkg, this thread may be helpful: "Keeping the jails up to date".

Good luck!

nathank1989

Contributor
Do you get the same or different results when you ping the same set of sites from other systems on your network?
All DNS and internet traffic works on my network as expected. Even my 9.2.1.8 was on the same VB version and worked with little configuration.

I can successfully ping every site you mentioned -- except your site, of course (because I don't know the URL), and Microsoft's. But microsoft.com does resolve, and I'm unable to successfully ping microsoft.com from any of my servers or workstations, not just this VirtualBox VM. I believe that Microsoft configures their system to ignore ICMP ping requests.
I also tried a few others; engadget.com, freenas.org, debian.org; no ping from FreeNAS, debian, or engadget

What version of VirtualBox are you using?
5.1.4 r110228

Do you have 'Promiscuous Mode' set to 'Allow All' for the FreeNAS VM? Here are my settings:
View attachment 13325
Yes, I have
Adapter 1
Bridged Adapter
en0: Ethernet
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM
Allow All
Random MAC

When you tested FreeNAS 9.2.1.8, did you test it on hardware or in VirtualBox? How much RAM have you allocated to the VirtualBox VM?
Virtual box, 8GB, the same as my intended production environment

Also, we may be better able to help you if you'll tell us your router model and the brand and model of NIC in your VirtualBox host system.

Router: Cisco DPC3939 (Xfinity XB3)
Host Computer: 2013 iMac 16GB ram, quadcore 3.5GHz
Broadcom 57765-B0 Ethernet card in iMac

If you've been having problems with pkg, this thread may be helpful: "Keeping the jails up to date".

Good luck!

I have already browsed that thread. :(

Also I have connection issues both within the Jail and inside the FreeNAS Userspace

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
All DNS and internet traffic works on my network as expected. Even my 9.2.1.8 was on the same VB version and worked with little configuration.

I also tried a few others; engadget.com, freenas.org, debian.org; no ping from FreeNAS, debian, or engadget

5.1.4 r110228

Yes, I have
Adapter 1
Bridged Adapter
en0: Ethernet
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM
Allow All
Random MAC

Virtual box, 8GB, the same as my intended production environment

Router: Cisco DPC3939 (Xfinity XB3)
Host Computer: 2013 iMac 16GB ram, quadcore 3.5GHz
Broadcom 57765-B0 Ethernet card in iMac

I have already browsed that thread. :(

Also I have connection issues both within the Jail and inside the FreeNAS Userspace
Hmmm... looks like you've thought of everything. I'm stumped. :confused:

I would try dropping back a version, as I suggested, to 9.10-STABLE. And if that doesn't work, you could try 9.3.1, which was pretty much rock-solid.

Why don't you fill out a bug report? It'll help the developers out. I found this somewhat tangentially-related report on bugs.freenas.org:

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16331

Last edited:

Sakuru

Guru
Use nslookup to see if you can reach all 3 of the DNS servers you listed.
Code:
nslookup
server 10.0.0.1
google.com
server 8.8.8.8
google.com
server 8.8.4.4
google.com

wblock

Documentation Engineer
ping freenas.org NOTHING
Which kind of "nothing"? :)

There's the kind where it doesn't get the IP address, or the kind where it does, but no pings are returned. For me right now, both get an IP address but the first one does not return pings.

nathank1989

Contributor
Which kind of "nothing"? :)

There's the kind where it doesn't get the IP address, or the kind where it does, but no pings are returned. For me right now, both get an IP address but the first one does not return pings.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.
I get the IP address, but no pings.

Similar if I try to run pkg update, it will try to resolve the hostnames of the ports but hang on doing anything else.
I can't SSH to an outside server I have either.

Last edited:

nathank1989

Contributor
Use nslookup to see if you can reach all 3 of the DNS servers you listed.
Code:
nslookup
server 10.0.0.1
google.com
server 8.8.8.8
google.com
server 8.8.4.4
google.com
I can reach all three. I've tried 3 other sets of DNS servers from my ISP and OpenDNS.

nathank1989

Contributor
Hmmm... looks like you've thought of everything. I'm stumped. :confused:

I would try dropping back a version, as I suggested, to 9.10-STABLE. And if that doesn't work, you could try 9.3.1, which was pretty much rock-solid.

Why don't you fill out a bug report? It'll help the developers out. I found this somewhat tangentially-related report on bugs.freenas.org:

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/16331

My only concern with starting my production on 9.3 is that I am going to be relying on the jails I set up for other services. One of which is NextCloud. I REALLY really REALLY cannot begin to explain how much I do not want the headache of nuking my datasets and starting over again in FreeNAS 10, whenever that is released because of whatever limitation there is on the jails now.

Moreover, I discovered this problem while using the jails.... I was trying to follow this guide to install NextCloud onto my NAS; https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/

And once I got to the Jails section and updating pkg; is where I hit a brick wall like whiley coyote chasing roadrunner.

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I get the IP address, but no pings.
This indicates that DNS is working, at least for those sites. Some sites are configured to not return ICMP echo requests and will not respond to pings, ever. Or there could be firewall in the way that blocks ICMP. With a bridged adapter, a firewall on the host should not be a problem, but there might be one in the router.

Could you show the output from pkg update?

nathank1989

Contributor
This indicates that DNS is working, at least for those sites. Some sites are configured to not return ICMP echo requests and will not respond to pings, ever. Or there could be firewall in the way that blocks ICMP. With a bridged adapter, a firewall on the host should not be a problem, but there might be one in the router.

Could you show the output from pkg update?
I won't be at my machine until later today so I'll post the exact output then, but basically running say pkg install nano just outputs single line ("Updating repository catalog") but doesn't install

I found some threads saying how the repository isn't set up right and that in
Code:
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

I have to change the url to be
Code:
pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest

When I do that it seems to start working then says cannot find catalogs, nothing to install.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My only concern with starting my production on 9.3 is that I am going to be relying on the jails I set up for other services. One of which is NextCloud. I REALLY really REALLY cannot begin to explain how much I do not want the headache of nuking my datasets and starting over again in FreeNAS 10, whenever that is released because of whatever limitation there is on the jails now.

Moreover, I discovered this problem while using the jails.... I was trying to follow this guide to install NextCloud onto my NAS; https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-owncloud-using-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/

And once I got to the Jails section and updating pkg; is where I hit a brick wall like whiley coyote chasing roadrunner.
I understand your being reluctant to deal with a shifting jail environment. I'm a little unorthodox in that I don't ever intend to use FreeNAS jails in 9.x or the bhyve virtualization support coming in version 10. I just want FreeNAS to provide reliable storage; a task at which it excels.

Have you considered building an AIO (all-in-one) system? I have two such and other users on the forum use them as well (@Mirfster and @joeschmuck and others). In such a system FreeNAS is virtualized, typically using VMware's ESXi, and serves the sole purpose of providing reliable data storage. Instead of using FreeNAS jails to install your software, you would use virtual machines. These are completely independent of FreeNAS other than the latter providing disk space on which to store them. You can update FreeNAS without 'breaking' your virtual machines, and vice versa. Another advantage is that you are free to use whatever operating system and software version you desire instead of being restricted to what's available in the FreeNAS jail environment. For example, many users like to install Plex on Linux instead of having to use the FreeBSD version.

But note that virtualizing FreeNAS requires expertise and careful hardware selection and should not be attempted lightly. It almost borders on heresy and @cyberjock is probably going to drop by here and chop my head off for even suggesting it!

Still, if you decide to explore this alternative, you should check out @joeschmuck's "My Dream System (I think)" thread, in which he describes his experiences in building an AIO.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Instead of using FreeNAS jails to install your software, you would use virtual machines. These are completely independent of FreeNAS other than the latter providing disk space on which to store them. You can update FreeNAS without 'breaking' your virtual machines, and vice versa.
Agreed, this is one of the reasons I went the AiO route.

nathank1989

Contributor
This is for a low-budget work client. I already basically blew the budget on the hardware we will be using. (Weather in the pacific has made hard drive prices skyrocket)
I would LOVE to do it this way and utilize the two NICs the board has, one for the NAS, one for the Cloud. Make my life so much easier...except I have no more budget to a VMWare visualization environment. Unless there is a free and reliable solution to that. EDIT: I do see vSphere is free, so I am wondering what I lose, functionality wise, by not getting the enterprise version.

Basically, I need a 24/7/365 headless server that will run our NAS and NextCloud service with SSH access, preferably with NAS using one NIC, and NextCloud, the other, and can reboot, start services and be ready without human intervention during, say, a powerloss.

My reasoning for using the jails was to half-arse visualization and run some basic services, that was the whole thing that attracted me to FreeNAS in the first place.

Last edited:

philhu

Patron
Did you turn on vimage for the jail?

nathank1989

Contributor
I understand your being reluctant to deal with a shifting jail environment. I'm a little unorthodox in that I don't ever intend to use FreeNAS jails in 9.x or the bhyve virtualization support coming in version 10. I just want FreeNAS to provide reliable storage; a task at which it excels.

Have you considered building an AIO (all-in-one) system? I have two such and other users on the forum use them as well (@Mirfster and @joeschmuck and others). In such a system FreeNAS is virtualized, typically using VMware's ESXi, and serves the sole purpose of providing reliable data storage. Instead of using FreeNAS jails to install your software, you would use virtual machines. These are completely independent of FreeNAS other than the latter providing disk space on which to store them. You can update FreeNAS without 'breaking' your virtual machines, and vice versa. Another advantage is that you are free to use whatever operating system and software version you desire instead of being restricted to what's available in the FreeNAS jail environment. For example, many users like to install Plex on Linux instead of having to use the FreeBSD version.

But note that virtualizing FreeNAS requires expertise and careful hardware selection and should not be attempted lightly. It almost borders on heresy and @cyberjock is probably going to drop by here and chop my head off for even suggesting it!

Still, if you decide to explore this alternative, you should check out @joeschmuck's "My Dream System (I think)" thread, in which he describes his experiences in building an AIO.

Looking into more virtualizations, do you think OpenVZ would be a good candidate to work on? Does anyone know anyone who has used FreeNAS or similar services using OpenVZ? It seems pretty simple to set up and run on Debian, which is more-or-less my go-to distro.

philhu

Patron
re: all in one systems

Actually, in my case, the FreeNAS box IS my all in one system, working perfectly, and allowed me to retire an old DELL 2950 using 1750 watts of power for my Super Micro using 388 watts with 24 disks.

It does NAS, jails for plex and pytivo bacula, and virtualbox, which runs my normal services on a centos vm under it. Bacula tape backup for the whole shebang

So, I am running a reg jail (pytivo), 2 plugin jails (bacula,plex), and a jail with virtual box running centos6.6

All jails are using vimage, all jails have static addresses in my normal subnet and all jails are accessable by the others and can communicate outside with no issues. Pytivo even does net broadcasts and receives to my 4 tivos

nathank1989

Contributor
Then I am wondering if maybe there's some disconnect between my VM running this and the host? Like I said, a clean vanilla install of 9.2.8.1 works swell, then I jumped to a clean vanilla of 9.10 and that's when all hell broke loose.

I'm going to test 9.3 to see if I can get that going (still reluctant with the whole FreeNAS upgrade path, and severe lack of jail upgrades), otherwise I've been looking at OpenMediaVault as an alternative. Didn't think it would be this hard, but it's like whenever you say "how hard can it be" the universe conspires to make it as hard as possible.

philhu

Patron
i was having sever net errors when I started the jails too. The vimage and static ip's fixed it in my cases

Status
Not open for further replies.