Network issue - can't ping

nico3

Dabbler
Hello Guys,
I've been trying to fix this issue forever now, unfortunately, I do not have any experience with FreeNAS or as a network admin.
This is my first FreeNAS, I'm running 11 on a supermicro x11ssm-f with Xeon E3-1220 v6 @ 3.00GHz and 16Gb of ram.
My problem is with the network configuration. I cannot ping any website (both with ping www.google.com and with ping 8.8.8.8, the first gives a DNS issue the second an "invalid argument").

I've followed all the topic I could find here on the forum and on Reddit but I wasn't able to solve the issue. I'm sure is a stupid mistake somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

My network is:
Router: 10.0.0.1
Freenas: IP:10.0.0.9

I've my router IP under
IPv4 Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
and Nameserver 1: 10.0.0.1

In the log at the bottom of the page I get this error every second:
Mar 12 12:23:00 ProtechSERVER kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 10.0.0.1 on igb1

Under interfaces I have this:

NIC
Interface Name
DHCP
Media Status
IPv4 Addresses
IPv6 Addresses
Auto configure IPv6
Options

igb1InterfaceTtrueActivetrue

I'm really out of options
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
Looks like you had the identical problem in July 2017?

How many network cables do you have connected to the network ports on your motherboard? If just one, to which port is it connected?

Do you have access to IPMI?

Last edited:

nico3

Dabbler
That's right I was never able to fix it but now it's getting quite urgent
I have one data cable connected to the motherboard, to the bottom port. Looking at the specs we have "Dual LAN with Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-AT" but I couldn't find any differences.

I have access to the physical machine

the current "network" is Modem>Router> 1 cable to FreeNAS and 1 cable to switch with multiple devices.

EDIT: Under "Services" I see "Dynamic DNS" disabled, should that be on?
Also IPMI Tab is set to IP4 0.0.0.0 see screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.19.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.19.45 pm.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
I can't understand "bottom port".

There are three LAN ports on the rear of your motherboard. One is immediately above two USB2 ports, to the right of that stack are two more USB ports, then two side-by-side LAN ports. Which of the three LAN ports is the Ethernet cable plugged in to?

Are there two flashing lights on the port above the Ethernet cable plug at the back of the motherboard?

nico3

Dabbler
my bad I was looking at the MB in a vertical position inside the case, yes lights are flashing and I can access files and use the freenas on local network, and the cable is connected to one of the two ports side by side
see picture attached

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 559

Redcoat

MVP
OK, so you have a working local network but can't get out from FreeNAS. I assume that other devices on your network can get to the internet through the router to which the FreeNAS box is connected?

What does Network, Interfaces show? BTW, what version of FreeNAS are you running now?

nico3

Dabbler
Yes correct, every other computer on the network has internet access.
I've attached a screenshot of the interfaces
I'm still runnning 11.1-U7 , if I try to check for updates I get an error
"Update server could not be reached
<urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.52.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.52.00 pm.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 435

Redcoat

MVP
Is your router acting as your DHCP server? And you only have one device set as a DHCP server on your network?

Is your router a pfsense box by chance?

Why is IPV6 showing true? Please screenshot Global Configuration.

nico3

Dabbler
Router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000
DHCP is set as "yes" under Router Information in the netgear admin dashboard
The router is the only DHCP server on the network
IPv6 is showing true as ticked the "autoconfig IPv6" box to try, If I turn it off (false) makes no difference

I've attached the screenshot. I honestly don't know what else to look for

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 3.11.04 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 3.11.04 pm.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 380

Redcoat

MVP
OK, so the IPv6 is a non-issue, only one DJCP server, looks like the arpresolve message is a report of something that your router is not properly flushing from its memory (maybe it should be rebooted...).
Long shot but worth a try, I think - repopulate the Global Configuration page with your router IP in the IPv4 gateway and all three Nameserver fields, save it and reboot FreeNAS - then also check that there's nothing spurious in Network Summary.

nico3

Dabbler
Router got rebooted multiple times. I've updated the global config with router ip in all 3 nameservers but in the network summary is only showing one (screenshot attached)
I've also rebooted freenas, no changes

BTW thank you so much for your help troubleshooting!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 3.37.14 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 3.37.14 pm.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 514

Redcoat

MVP
so, net result is the FreeNAS still can't ping out from shell?

Redcoat

MVP
Doesn't make much sense to me. Have you tried a reinstall of 11-U7? Or maybe a later version? Grab the .iso with one of your other boxes and make a new install?

nico3

Dabbler
The problem with that is that the FreeNas is currently used as an "office NAS" with files being used every minute from different people, so downtime for an upgrade is not really possible right now.
on top of that, I can't afford to lose any file if the upgrade/new install doesn't work so I'll have to leave that as my last resource and do it over a weekend
Anything else I could look at?
any settings on the router?

Redcoat

MVP
Understood - I have just been reading the router manual - what does yours say under Domain Name Servers on the Internet Setup page?

Redcoat

MVP
Hmm.. it should not be a DNS problem because you say you've tried pinging both google.com and 8.8.8.8 and you don't get a response on either.

But I assume other boxes can ping out.

I dunno. I'm out of ideas right now except that I would change the LAN cable and also try the other port as "desperation moves".

I'll check back - I need to get some shut-eye before heading out to a funeral tomorrow.

nico3

Dabbler
Ok WTF!
so I tried the other two LAN ports on the MB and with both of them I get a new IP from the router (10.0.0.39 instead of 10.0.0.9) and if I type that IP in my browser I get a SuperMicro Login panel, not the freenas, the NAS also become unaccessible from the local network.
So it looks like the only port that gives me freenas connection is the one I posted before. While I was trying this I remember doing it last year as well...

Then I plugged the cable back into the original port and logged into the freenas dashboard.... now I can ping both google.com and 8.8.8.8!!
Now the next issue is the plugins, all this started because I want to have remote access to the files on the NAS. When I go in the plugin sections, it loads for a bit and then give me a "no entry found"
Under "configuration" I have this url as repository URL: http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo

Do I have to have a jail to see the available plugins? doesn't the plugin create the jail automatically?
Thanks again for your help!

Redcoat

MVP
WTF indeed!
Let's go straight to the plugins issue. I can't help you with this - I have never used one and know nothing about them. However, I assume that they do indeed make their own jails. And that .rpo file is there and I have been able top download it. I can't do anything with it though.
But it doesn't look like the right place for plugins for you - go here to http://download.freenas.org/ and find those for your p;articular version.
But I must ask - why do you need a plugin for remote access to your files?
On the IPMI issue on the other ports - depends on configuration choices - jumpers on mobo and bios settings - you should look at the back of your mobo manual and also get the IPMI manual from SM for your mobo series.