Network issue - can't ping

nico3

Dabbler
Yes exactly what I was doing now, I saw the url works and the plugins are there, but for some reasons, they don't show up in my GUI...
So the situation is this: the Freenas is used in an office environment where people are not really computer savvy so I need a user-friendly way for people to access the files when on-site or at home. Do you know any other way without plugins?
Like mounting a remote drive? Most people are on Mac, but we also have some PC users so it's a mixed environment...

Redcoat

MVP
What I'm confused about is what plug-in will help you with remote access.

Don't you need to set up a VPN for these folks to connect securely from remote locations? Say using OpenVPN for instance?

If you are not on a static IP from your ISP then you'll need a dynamic DNS service also - I have no idea what you have available in Oz.

Redcoat

MVP
BTW, looks like that directory is the latest plugin directory. I don't identify any of those with remote access...

nico3

Dabbler
Something like nextcloud? I'm not sure, I admit I'm not 100% sure how to do this in an user friendly way, I've found a couple of articles that use SSH but that's way too complicated for these people.

Redcoat

MVP
I have not used Nextcloud - but I have been reading up on it and, if implementing it, I would for sure use @danb35 's very well received script method - see https://www.ixsystems.com/community...llation-of-nextcloud-18-in-iocage-jail.62485/

My impression is that you'd be better to update FreeNAS before you start on this in order to be able to get step-by-step current advice here.

I do not know if it will provide you with the facility you are seeking, not having yet experienced it.

Redcoat

MVP
And I missed Nextcloud in that plugin list ...

nico3

Dabbler
ok now I tried to manually upload the plugin and install it from the gui, it said "installation completed" and then when I refreshed the page I got a "This site can’t be reached, 10.0.0.9 took too long to respond" and now I can't access the gui. I can still use the NAS and access all the files but the Freenas admin is not working...

EDIT: Forget it, I rebooted the network (router, modem etc) and now everything is working fine! Great, Nextcloud is up and running, now I just need to figure out how to set it up properly so that I can see existing volumes remotely.
Cool, Thanks again!

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So you're using DHCP for the FreeNAS host? That's a bad idea. Assign your FreeNAS a static IP address, and make sure it is outside the range that your DHCP server is assigning from.

See, lovely crap happens when you have a crappy DHCP server. If your DHCP server clears out its leases when it reboots, which many "router" appliances do, you can end up with multiple devices all piling up on IP's that are already assigned. Your DHCP server might be further confused if the mainboard supports IPMI or IME and gets whiff of a shared interface. Your clients will also lose connection if the DHCP server decides to change your FreeNAS host's IP, and there's a whole raft of other wonderful stupid. DHCP is for dynamic hosts, and usually isn't good for infrastructure.