new freeNAS build, cannot connect to network - software or hardware issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegil

Cadet
Hello,

I recently built a freeNAS machine following (almost to the T) the recipe provided by Brian Moses @ http://blog.brianmoses.net/2015/01/diy-nas-2015-edition.html (I used 6 x 3 TB drives, otherwise identical setup and gear).

This build uses the ASRock c2550d4i motherboard, and I have the system connected (via ethernet) to a Netgear WGR614v7 router, which is connected to a Scientific Atlanta cable internet modem (ISP: Cox).

No matter what I seem to do (e.g., taking a variety of advice by combing this forum), I am unable to connect to the freeNAS machine in my home network. I continually get the "No configured interfaces were found" message, and when I try to manually configure and the OS subsequently spits out a URL, the URL does not work, and my router still does not show that anything is attached @ the URL provided. I've entered "shell" and typed "ifconfig", and attached the output.

I hate to bother folks on here with a potentially mundane issue, but after spending so much time on this with no solution, I'm concerned that continuing to meddle unguided may lead to new issues. Also, since I bought all the hardware a little over a week ago, the clock is ticking, so to speak, on being able to return faulty hardware (should that be an issue).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to provide and additional output from the machine, so long as you tell me how to get it :) (I'm new to freeNAS, in case you couldn't tell).

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 265

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow, a blog post with a reasonable FreeNAS build.

As for your problem, I recommend the following steps:
  • Make sure your cable is connected to one of the "real" LAN ports and not the lone IPMI interface.
  • Try a known-good Ethernet cable (ifconfig says no carrier)
  • Try a direct connection to a second computer
If all those fail, it's probably a bad board.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, he shows an igb0 and igb1. So he has two ports, both equally good. He might try the other port on the FreeNAS.

I doubt this is a bad board. Almost certainly a bad cable, or a bad choice of port.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, he shows an igb0 and igb1. So he has two ports, both equally good. He might try the other port on the FreeNAS.

I doubt this is a bad board. Almost certainly a bad cable, or a bad choice of port.

Probably, but stranger things have happened. That's why the "make sure you have the right port" recommendation is the first one.

mikegil

Cadet
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to show my ignorance here, but to clarify: Ericloewe, my router appears to have only 4 "LAN" ports (I don't see any designated as IPMI on the router itself). Also, I've switched out the ethernet cables multiple times with ones that I'm sure work.

To thicken the plot a bit, I've noticed that when I connect and boot up my FreeNAS machine, and I log into my router manager online (wirelessly, from my laptop), the router manager shows that a new device is connected. When I go to the URL listed for the device, I see a login screen for my motherboard (the ASRock) from my FreeNAS machine. I am able to login and configure the motherboard from there (though I've not messed with anything). In light of this, doesn't it seem like the connection is working properly (and the issue lies with the FreeNAS software)?

Ericloewe, can you please clarify what you mean when you say to 'try a direct connection with a second computer'? Do you mean boot from my FreeNAS USB thumb drive on a different computer (e.g., my laptop) plugged into the router?

Sorry if I'm being dense -- this is a much steeper learning curve than I'd anticipated :(.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

mikegil

Cadet
PS -- I meant to also mention that I'm not sure I understand what DrKK said about two ports, but I've been sorta haphazardly trying them both, again and again. Is it possible that one of these two ports is dedicated to the motherboard itself (which gives rise to the ASRock login screen)? One other thing I noticed is that the igb0 gives me the option "Configure interface for DHCP?" (I've tried this option, to no avail), while igb1 does not seem to ever offer this option.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are using the wrong Ethernet port on the back of your motherboard. That port is for ipmi. Plug your cable into a different port.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You are using the wrong Ethernet port on the back of your motherboard. That port is for ipmi. Plug your cable into a different port.
This.

Bhoot

Patron
Wow, a blog post with a reasonable FreeNAS build.
I read the same thing for choosing for my nas first (before the detailed post by cyberjock). I must say its impressive except the guy isn't a fan of ECC ram which after reading here seems to be as important as any other component of your freenas.

I doubt this is a bad board.
There are a lot of posts I read about this board and the 2750 being DOA. (not the case here)

PS -- I meant to also mention that I'm not sure I understand what DrKK said about two ports, but I've been sorta haphazardly trying them both, again and again. Is it possible that one of these two ports is dedicated to the motherboard itself (which gives rise to the ASRock login screen)? One other thing I noticed is that the igb0 gives me the option "Configure interface for DHCP?" (I've tried this option, to no avail), while igb1 does not seem to ever offer this option.
try seeing in the bios if your boot drive is set to USB (most of the times its not) also see if there is an option of enabling some network options coz igb0 and igb1 should give same results.

Sorry I am a noob here.. but I recently setup a NAS and I remember selecting these options.. (basic but forgettable)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I read the same thing for choosing for my nas first (before the detailed post by cyberjock). I must say its impressive except the guy isn't a fan of ECC ram which after reading here seems to be as important as any other component of your freenas.

There are a lot of posts I read about this board and the 2750 being DOA. (not the case here)

try seeing in the bios if your boot drive is set to USB (most of the times its not) also see if there is an option of enabling some network options coz igb0 and igb1 should give same results.

Sorry I am a noob here.. but I recently setup a NAS and I remember selecting these options.. (basic but forgettable)
At this point, since IPMI clearly has connectivity but FreeNAS has none, it's clear it was just a matter of the IPMI LAN port being used, which naturally doesn't work. IPMI can share one of the Intel GbE controllers, though.

pschatz100

Guru
To the OP:
Did you resolve your problem? I would expect that the motherboard manual would help you determine which lan ports are which. As Ericloewe said, use the one that works for both the OS and IPMI. You will find IPMI to be very convenient.

nanopete

Dabbler
Please clear this up if you are more enlightened than me.
I just bought a C2750 (as per the hardware recom.), it's kind of hard to figure out what is IPMI and whats not.
The LAN port above the usb ports is the dedicated IPMI port, that seems clear. But then the top of the other two ports is this IPMI-fallback together with being a normal LAN? I could not get this one to work.
The lower of the two LAN ports has nothing to do with IPMI, that works fine for me. So I'm sticking with dedicated IPMI lan port(above usbs) for IPMI and lower LAN (of the two) for LAN.
I'm thinking this is important because lots of freenas-newbies like me will be buying the C2750/C2550.
Thank you guys.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@nanopete did you look in the manual that came with your motherboard? I'm sure the answer is in there, there is probably a bios setting that describes which port to use for ipmi and if it should bond with one of the normal nic's.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There should be a setting in the BIOS, as to whether or not the IPMI is fallback to the main ethernet controller, or whether it is isolated, etc.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At least on Supermicro X10 boards, the options are dedicated + fallback or just shared on one of the (the only, on some boards) i210s.

nanopete

Dabbler
Never having had more than one nic, one lan port and no IPMI it can get confusing even with a manual. Furthermore with C2750D4i and C2550D4i you can make an conflict between bios/EFI and the BMC/IPMI such that IPMI web interface is all gone. I think this can happen even without making a conflict, although I usually mess around with stuff when I'm learning :smile:

Anyway if you have one of these boards (C2750D4i and C2550D4i) JohnRB at tweaktown forums has this very appreciated advise;

"The vast majority of ipmi issues are going to be a direct result of not understanding the config and lack of patience. The best way to avoid any issues with your BIOS/BMC: - Update your BIOS/UEFI
- Update BMC
- Load UEFI defaults in BIOS, set management IPs to static and make note.
- Reset BMC settings to default setting, then go ahead and make your changes to it, stay away from the network settings in the WEBGUI unless your an advanced user, this is where most issues will arise from having conflicting net setting in EFI and BMC WEBGUI. I personally prefer the EFI to handle net management IP settings."
Read more: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/58079-asrockrack-2750-avoton-ipmi-bmc-issues.html

And if you already hopelessly have lost all connection to the BMC WEBGUI, you can use ipmitool and a raw command to reset the BMC. Look into the tweaktown forums for more info on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.