New CT NIC Card No Network Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper16

Cadet
System: e-Machines T6420, 4gb Ram, AMD 64
NIC: Intel CT EXPI9301CT
Router: ASUS RT-AC66U Latest Firmware

Issue: Boot up will will not DHCP Handshake an IP address from the network. I get multiple attempts, and then a fail. I try to manually use a static IP and netmask, nothing. I try to connect to DHCP Router...nothing. I reboot after manually setting IP's, I can see during the boot up strings, that is attempts to connect using the manually given IP's but fail.

Sometimes I get a network card was not configured please manually choose one from the menu.

I installed Win 7 64bit on the same hardware and was able to fully access the NIC, I proceeded to put it through some testing and had zero issues, so I know the card works and it works in the PCI-e slot that it is installed.

I have searched for about a week over this forum and freeBSD to search if anyone was having the same issues as I, but only saw one think mentioning VLAN enabled could cause something.

What I get from Shell after fresh boot:

What I get from "IFCONFIG":

What I get after I force a "IFCONFIG em0 192.168.1.204 netmask 255.255.255.0":

ASUS RT-AC66U DHCP Settings:

ASUS RT-AC66U WAN Settings:

ASUS RT-AC66U Client List Details:

Laptop Wi-Fi IPCONFIG:

D

dlavigne

Well, it sees an em0 as active, so the Intel is being detected and has a loaded driver. Have you checked the cabling for that NIC? Anything between the FreeNAS system and the DHCP server network-wise (e.g. firewall, router)? Can other systems on the network get an IP address from the DHCP server?

Viper16

Cadet
Well, it sees an em0 as active, so the Intel is being detected and has a loaded driver. Have you checked the cabling for that NIC? Anything between the FreeNAS system and the DHCP server network-wise (e.g. firewall, router)? Can other systems on the network get an IP address from the DHCP server?

When I installed Win 7 onto another hard drive in the current computer, I left all cabling and network connections in the same position (computer to router [port # 4]). The DHCP is what is built-in to the Asus Router and was left in a standard configuration from the factory setup. So far every device both wireless and wired are able to get assigned ip's automatically (PS3, XBOX, Receiver, phones, tablets, laptops, etc..), with exception to this FreeNAS setup.

BTW

Dabbler
I am dealing with a similar issue (my setup has VLANs though) but can you try the following to see if it is a viable workaround:
  • open the shell (option 9)
  • type
    • Code:
      ifconfig em0 down
      ifconfig em0 up
I know all your outputs say active but my case is the same thing. Once I manually bring all my interfaces down and back up, then my network works fine (until I reboot).
I am still waiting for a permanent solution.

rcarterii

Dabbler
Do e-Machines even have ECC RAM? I haven't seen one yet that does, so is it even worth going down this path. You don't even meet the minimum RAM requirement of 8GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Viper16

Cadet
I am dealing with a similar issue (my setup has VLANs though) but can you try the following to see if it is a viable workaround:
  • open the shell (option 9)
  • type
    • Code:
      ifconfig em0 down
      ifconfig em0 up
I know all your outputs say active but my case is the same thing. Once I manually bring all my interfaces down and back up, then my network works fine (until I reboot).
I am still waiting for a permanent solution.

Yeah, I have tried that, but still no go. I can never ping from another client PC.

Viper16

Cadet
Do e-Machines even have ECC RAM? I haven't seen one yet that does, so is it even worth going down this path. You don't even meet the minimum RAM requirement of 8GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am just trialing FreeNAS before dropping +$2K on a good NAS system. Just tinkering for the time being, trying to figure out the system for my home theater / Personal Storage for my home. I have had the system up an running on the mobo lan (RealTek) but fought the setup getting it to DHCP. I did get it to run on the mobo lan and was able to keep it up and running for +1 week till I tinkered with it and needed to reload FreeNAS. So I know it works fine with the computer.

gpsguy

To troubleshoot this please disable your onboard Realtek NIC and see if your Intel NoC grabs a DHCP address

Sent from my phone

Viper16

Cadet
To troubleshoot this please disable your onboard Realtek NIC and see if your Intel NoC grabs a DHCP address

Sent from my phone

gpsguy, those images taken above were with the onboard LAN disabled through the BIOS. It is weird even when I force the NoC to use a ip address, then I ifconfig em0 down / up, I still cannot ping other clients and I cannot ping the NAS from a different client on the network. I get the good network lights on the back of the card and the router, I have tried a hand made cable and a factory made cable that has been known to work.

gpsguy

Instead of configuring em0 from the command line, configure it with option 1 on the Console Setup Menu. If there are any references to the onboard NIC remove them.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.