New build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanbladez

Cadet
I plan on building a 10 drive x 4 or 3 tb zfs raidz2 nas. This will be mainly for storing media files, at most two people might be watching those 2 media files over Ethernet from other pcs in the house. Is 16 gb ram going to be enough? What board would be recommended for this build.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Use raidz3, 16gb ram, m1015 sata controller, super micro x10 mb and a core i3 4130. Alternative mb is Asus p9d

And do some research into recommended hw. It's the sticky thread at the top of the hardware forum.

lanbladez

Cadet
Raidz3 seems a bit of an overkill, do I need to go with raidz3? If I go with raidz3, I would need a total of 11 drives for an ideal size. Also, what drives are recommended to be more reliable the Seagate nas ones or the WD Red ones?

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
WD Reds are popular around here. I have never heard anything about reliability compared to seagate. I would buy wd reds.

As for raidz3: with 10 disks in your pool a failure in more than 1 drive is likely. My recommendation is based on my gut feeling regarding drive reliability. I would not feel comfortable with only 2 parity disk with a 10 disk zpool.

lanbladez

Cadet
I was told that I need to buy the drives in batches, since I do not want them to fail all at the same time. If I am going to buy 11. What should my batch size be, and how long should I wait to buy another batch.

Z300M

Guru
I was told that I need to buy the drives in batches, since I do not want them to fail all at the same time. If I am going to buy 11. What should my batch size be, and how long should I wait to buy another batch.
I've seen that suggestion, but I don't know how many people actually recommend it. I bought my original four drives at the same time, and only one failed (and was replaced under warranty)

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
I bought 6 drives from two vendors. All 6 drives had wildly varying serial numbers. Even the 3 from a single vendor.

So honestly it's probably not a big deal. But you could do as I did and buy 3 from 2 different vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.