• xeon

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrxmike

Dabbler
Hello guys,
I am new to this forum and I want to build a free nas system.
I done all of the research, is there any benefit to go xeon besides encryption?
I know with a i3 is more than enough based off what other forum members have said.
I am planning to mainly use it as a low powered storage box and playback the media that I have on storage and watching content through xbmc. Most of the time there will be 3-4 users hitting the nas for playback and watching in 1080p and 4k content. So I do not want any bottleneck when playing back the media.
The two builds that I have laid out is identical expect the cpu.
(Applied the Suggestions to both builds)
Xeon: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BfvZkL
i3: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T9cMqs

Last edited:

gpsguy

Here is the OP's itemized list. The OP might want to hold off on ordering until the forum members weigh in on his choices.

For example, WD Reds would probably be a better choice than the 7200 RPM Deathstar's in a MiniITX case.

upload_2016-2-28_9-4-1.png

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
IMHO
I would drop the expensive cpu cooler and use the stock Intel heatsink and fan.
Use the savings to buy this RAM because it's recommended ECC :cool:
I second the recommendation of gpsguy and drop the 7200rpm disks from the
tiny case you've chosen, the red's reduced spindle speeds will produce less heat.
Last, but certainly THE most important, I prefer (as do ALOT of others around here)
Seasonic for PSUs. I just purchased this model from newegg just a few days ago

ChriZ

Patron
AFAIK, this EVGA PSU is considered top notch, but since the same applies with the Seasonic and it is also cheaper, I second BigDave's advice....
Regarding the CPU, in your use case an i3 is enough, but with the Xeon you will have that extra horsepower that you will need if/when you decide to assign more tasks to your server.

wrxmike

Dabbler
AFAIK, this EVGA PSU is considered top notch, but since the same applies with the Seasonic and it is also cheaper, I second BigDave's advice....
Regarding the CPU, in your use case an i3 is enough, but with the Xeon you will have that extra horsepower that you will need if/when you decide to assign more tasks to your server.
That is the thing though, I want to be able to "future proof", but I know with technology you can not ever catch up. But I also don't want to pay too much on the electric bill.

IMHO
I would drop the expensive cpu cooler and use the stock Intel heatsink and fan.
Use the savings to buy this RAM because it's recommended ECC :cool:
I second the recommendation of gpsguy and drop the 7200rpm disks from the
tiny case you've chosen, the red's reduced spindle speeds will produce less heat.
Last, but certainly THE most important, I prefer (as do ALOT of others around here)
Seasonic for PSUs. I just purchased this model from newegg just a few days ago
What is the difference between reds and red pros?
I know that seasonic and corsair uses japanese caps and are super well made with awesome quality.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

gpsguy

If you switch to that SuperMicro motherboard, you'll need to change cases. It's a MicroATX sized board.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Almost the same price and it will take 32GB of RAM

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
So you think I should get the SM board then?
As gpsguy said, you'll have to change cases. Other than that, I personally prefer Supermicro, I own three and
will soon buy a forth for a new server. Of the three I have, two are used X9 boards and they have never given
a lick of trouble. The third I purchased new (X10) for the Wife, she always gets the best!

wrxmike

Dabbler
I still do not mind switching from a 304 to a 804 from fractal. I still do not know whether to build a i3 or xeon.

gpsguy

wrxmike

Dabbler
Yeah, both of the motherboards, support 32 gb. I dont mind the cost of a better mobo. I am just not very sure which one would be the best option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.