New build - cannot find Plex Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

modifiedbear

Cadet
New guy here - just put my first build together and installed FreeNAS to be a plex server. First off, the info

HP z220 - Intel i7-3770 - 24gb RAM - 5x 1TB HDD's, 1x 120GB SSD
FreeNAS-11.0.U2

Followed many tutorials/videos online to set up volumes and install Plex Server. I've tried both methods of installing Plex via plugin and also creating a jail first and manually installing Plex through shell. Regardless of what I do, I'm able to hit the Plex webGUI but it says "Looking for Servers..."

Should be noted that this is my 2nd Plex server install, i'm moving everything over from a small, retail NAS that was slow and out of space. All the data is removed and that server install is cleared.

When installing via the plugin, FreeNAS assigns 128.69.1.3 for the Plex Server. Manually I will set it to 128.69.1.128. (My gateway is 128.69.1.1)

I'm sure additional information from me will be required - thank you in advance for helping a newbie.

danb35

Hall of Famer
128.69.x.x is not private IP space, and you don't own that network. It's not certain, but entirely possible, that that's your problem.

modifiedbear

Cadet
I'll try doing an SSH tunnel via putty and see if that allows me to find the server. I didn't think that'd be the issue since I can hit the web app and I had Plex set up on this IP scheme already.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You used public IP space on your LAN? Why on earth would you do that? You need to reconfigure your router's LAN with an RFC 1918 address and go from there.

modifiedbear

Cadet
Was initially a "test" network and became primary after a move a few years ago. This was the first issue I've come across but I'm going to make the change back a private address and see if that clears this issue.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Make sure to change the advance jail settings to reflect your new LAN address scheme. I'd also limit the jail addresses to something outside your DHCP range to avoid IP conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.