New Box...Import existing arrays

mwalt72

Cadet
Updated 9.10 to latest build (11.2) through GUI. My bad I did not back up my settings. On reboot lost my volumes and shares. I kept getting mount point errors. Then hardware trouble, unfixible hanging on boot that I learned is common on Gigabype MOBOs. After days of frustration I gutted the box and rebuilt with MSI MOBO, Intel i7 CPU and some DDR3 I had hanging around. I have existing healthy arrays with all my data (Adaptec 2405 Hardware RAID 1). Freenas sees the 4 individual disks as well as the 2 logical RAID 1 drives. Volume Manager requires the disks to be formatted. The disks or volumes do not show up in the import volume pick list. I've tried to import disks but have no mount point. Have Freenas 9.10 installed right now but I had same issues with 11.2. I have Hot Swaps made of the arrays in case I lose data trying solutions. Any suggestions?

mwalt72

Cadet
That is going to give you heartburn with FreeNAS...
My old FreeNAS Server with hardware RAID card worked well for a decade, upgrade after upgrade, failed drive swap after swap. Hardware mirrored array did just what I needed it to do. It was only with the latest upgrade things went bad. Right now I have FreeBSD with ZFS running. I have access to my files and I am offloading the files I need so I can work. I need to figure out a different server configuration. Do you have any suggestions on Server OS and different RAID card.