Network issue? Can not see list of available plugins ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to 9.2.1.5. In the midst of troubleshooting I uninstalled the Transmission plugin and went to do a reinstall. When I go to the list of available plugins I find it empty and it says 'No entry has been found'. I've been researching and this seems likely to be a network issue - it can not reach the server to find the list. Fair enough. Thing is, I hadn't changed any network settings and this had been working without issue for weeks. I have gone back to the guide to check that my network settings are good but nothing seems to help. I've included a screenshot of my network settings - can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong?
Much appreciated ....
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 11.44.14 AM.png

One piece of info to add, I see the following error when I first reboot: foster ntpd_initres[5280]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Then your network setup isn't properly configured. ;) That's classic network config error.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
In fact, if you had simply searched on that error instead of posting you'd probably have found 50 threads with the fix...

Cyberjock I was just editing my post to reflect that the posts here http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plugins-not-showing-up-no-entry-has-been-found.17330/ and here http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-2-0-no-plugins-showing-on-plugin-page.17930/ do not fix this problem for me. If there are 48 other fixes I would be happy to read them :smile:

I have tried reconfiguring the interface to use DHCP and rebooted. Doesn't work. I am not using static IPs as the second fix alludes to (perhaps I should be, researching now). I can ping google no problem which would suggest the network is fine .... my name servers are fine and can be reached.... I am definitely very green in all of this but I have read the documentation a fair number of times. I am sure it is something foolish I have missed but perhaps I am not seeing the wood for the trees

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm talking about the error "host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org".

You will find that the host name error will, by definition, make the plugin list impossible to obtain.

Understood: my research absolutely told me that I can't see plugins because of that error and that it is a network config error. That is the error I searched on and like you rightly point out found a bunch of solutions. Most suggest that the DNS entries are incorrect. As I posted up top my network summary shows it has found these fine and I am able to ping 8.8.8.8 I have reconfigured the interface and rebooted. So I am kind of stuck looking for more suggestions because from every post I see I should be okay? Maybe let me ask this: doesn't being able to ping an external site suggest my network is okay?

So ... still not getting anywhere. More research and I tried net wait as a possible solution. No. Added the FreeNAS IP under Host Name Database. I've been trying to fix this for hours and have read dozens of posts. Could be that I need to step away and take a break as I am probably missing something simple. One thing that is frustrating is that all of the guides seems to say Step 1 do x, step 2: configure your network .... without ever giving any guidance on what you should be configuring or how! Anyway, I am appealing for help as I am sure someone out there will be able to point out my error :) Below are screen shots of my global config, interface and network summary. Basically I set up the IPv4 to point at the address of my router 192.168.0.1 Based on a post I saw I enabled Netwait but it didn't work and I took it out again. Based on yet more research I manually configured an interface even though from what I am seeing it should be getting setup dynamically on boot without me needing to do this. However, there it is set up to use DHCP. I have opened a shell and pinged google - no problems, data coming back like crazy. What have I missed? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 2.41.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 2.33.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 2.41.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 2.40.01 PM.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not that this is much help(I don't think anyway) but most guides say "configure the network" because the expectation is that you know how to configure the network properly for your case.

You should probably step away and take a break. Example:

If you look in the manual, the host name data base is(quoted from the manual):

used to add one entry per line which will be appended to /etc/hosts; use the format IP_address space hostname where multiple hostnames can be used if separated by a space

Your entry isn't even valid for that option. You have an IP address and no hostname or anything. Hint: If you know what the /etc/hosts file does you'd know that's not your problem. ;) Deleting the host name data base won't fix whatever your problem is either.

I realize you're probably getting frustrated and "just want it to work", but just "doing stuff out of desperation" won't help you. You'll start making more mistakes and it will all be a waste of your time.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Please run these three commands from FreeNAS and post output here in CODE tags:
Code:
nslookup google.com 184.169.139.227
ping -c 4 184.169.139.227
traceroute 184.169.139.227

Status
Not open for further replies.