Need help to build a new server

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Hello everyone.

First of all, I apologize if my questions have already been asked.

Anyway, over a year ago, I wanted to build a NAS with an old computer to find out how it worked.

Today, I use this NAS every day, to work, manage game servers, stream media and, soon, manage e-mail.
What started out as a fun project has turned into an indispensable tool for me.

So, my problem is this: Today, the data stored on this server is very important to me, and I know that my current server is not really reliable. Old gaming motherboard, no ECC RAM, old Core i5 3570, small amount of RAM...
So I'm looking to build a new server, with quality hardware to guarantee the security of my data.
To this end, I've read the hardware recommendation guide and chosen a configuration based on ASRock C236 mini ITX and Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6.

To clarify, at the moment, I have :

- Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
- Processor: Intel I5-3570
- RAM: Viper 2*8gb 1600Mhz DDR3
- System installed on a PNY 120GO SSD connected via SATA 6Gb/s
- Storage: 3x 3 TB western digital red RAIDZ1 connected in SATA 3Gb/s
- Iocage on PNY NVME SSD connected via USB
- Corsair CX430 power supply
- Aerocool case.

And I want to upgrade to :

- Motherboard: ASRock C236 mini ITX
- Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 (or 1240,1260 ?)
- RAM: 2*16gb 2400Mhz ECC DDR4
- Fractal design NODE 304

So I'd like to keep only my storage media and my power supply (and also an intel PCIE network card, because the Realtek integrated chipset on my current motherboard is really horrible...).

I have several questions concerning all this:

Firstly, I've read that the Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 has no integrated graphics. Will this prevent the motherboard from booting? I ask, because I've already had the problem with an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2, where the motherboard simply refused to boot up because there was no integrated graphics. Alternatively, I could get a Xeon with integrated graphics, and increase power consumption.

Secondly, does anyone have an opinion on my new configuration? Or any suggestions?

Thirdly, where can I buy all these components, especially the motherboard? I've tried looking around, but all I can find are sites like AliExpress or others with outrageous prices.

Finally, would it be useful to transfer my prisons from the USB SSD NVME to an internal SSD SATA? or to mirror the disks?

PS: I'm using the latest version of Truenas CORE, and i want a mini ITX configuration to keep my NAS at an acceptable size.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and help me!

Last edited:

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Update :

While browsing second-hand sites, I found the following offer:
Motherboard : Supermicro X11SSH-F
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1240v6
RAM: Samsung 4 x 16 Go ECC DDR4-2666

Everything for 350€. It's a micro ATX motherboard, so I would have to get a micro ATX case, unfortunately. I have the impression that fractal Nodes are complicated to find at the moment. I saw that Silverstone made very good cases, even if much more expensive. That aside, is this offer interesting?

NugentS

MVP
My 2p worth
- Motherboard: ASRock C236 mini ITX
No IPMI - so yeah - no video with this if the CPU doesn't support it
- Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 (or 1240,1260 ?)
No Graphics
- RAM: 2*16gb 2400Mhz ECC DDR4
OK
OK
Bit small - but OK
No - just no
Crap PSU
- Fractal design NODE 304
No comment - I don't know enough about it

The SMC X11SSH-F DOES have IPMI - so will work as a basic graphics card I believe

Whattteva

Wizard
Firstly, I've read that the Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 has no integrated graphics. Will this prevent the motherboard from booting? I ask, because I've already had the problem with an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2, where the motherboard simply refused to boot up because there was no integrated graphics. Alternatively, I could get a Xeon with integrated graphics, and increase power consumption.
I don't think there is a way around this. I'd imagine a system with IPMI will increase it even higher than an iGPU.

Secondly, does anyone have an opinion on my new configuration? Or any suggestions?
I'd go with mATX form factor instead. Probably cheaper, many more choices, flexibility, and upgradability.

Thirdly, where can I buy all these components, especially the motherboard? I've tried looking around, but all I can find are sites like AliExpress or others with outrageous prices.
As I said above, go for mATX. More choices + flexibility = better pricing (usually).

PS: I'm using the latest version of Truenas CORE, and i want a mini ITX configuration to keep my NAS at an acceptable size.
Well, you want performance, enterprise features (ECC and lots of RAM), portability, and cheap.... You can't have it all mang. Something has to give.

Etorix

Wizard
I thoroughly HATE Silverstone case, their flimsy trays and their excessive number of ridiculously small screws. Your mileage may vary…

Note that C236/C246 motherboards can also use ECC UDIMM with Core i3 CPUs, not only Xeon E3/E-2000. A GPU is not required if the board has IPMI.
The issue, at this time, is finding a suitable motherboard for a reasonable price. Good luck!

The X11SSH is not a bad proposal, but if going micro-ATX, I'd prefer the next generation:

Proxipupuce

Explorer
I'd go with mATX form factor instead. Probably cheaper, many more choices, flexibility, and upgradability.

As I said above, go for mATX. More choices + flexibility = better pricing (usually).
Okay, I'll take a mATX configuration
Well, you want performance, enterprise features (ECC and lots of RAM), portability, and cheap.... You can't have it all mang. Something has to give.
I prefer to compromise on size, you're right

Proxipupuce

Explorer
I thoroughly HATE Silverstone case, their flimsy trays and their excessive number of ridiculously small screws. Your mileage may vary…
Okay, how about fractal nodes?
The X11SSH is not a bad proposal, but if going micro-ATX, I'd prefer the next generation:
I know what you mean, but it seems a bit excessive for my use, doesn't it?

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Motherboard : Supermicro X11SSH-F
CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1240v6
RAM: Samsung 4 x 16 Go ECC DDR4-2666

Everything for 350€.
Otherwise, do you think the price is right? I confess I have no idea what the real prices are for these components, and I'd like to get it right.

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
I plan to increase this when I need it
Mind that you cannot add an extra drive: You have to add a new vdev and/or replace drives by larger ones—but raidz1 is not advised with large drives.

Otherwise, do you think the price is right? I confess I have no idea what the real prices are for these components, and I'd like to get it right.
A few years ago, I would have said it was slightly overpriced for this generation. Unfortunately this is a sellers' market. Which is why, at this price point, I'd rather go for the following generation: More RAM (64 GB with Core i3, 128 GB with Xeon E-2000), 2 M.slots for boot and app pool (and onboard 10 GbE on the AsRockRack cannot hurt).
Otherwise, you can have a good NAS build in a Node 304 case, despite the restriction to mini-ITX. Beside C236/C246 boards, Atom C3000 (Supermicro A2SDi) and "old faithful" Xeon D-1500 (X10SDV) would be good candidates… but you have compromise on price, or be patient for an opportunity.

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Mind that you cannot add an extra drive: You have to add a new vdev and/or replace drives by larger ones—but raidz1 is not advised with large drives.
In fact, I was planning to upgrade to 6*6TB disks when my current disks are full.
I'd rather go for the following generation: More RAM (64 GB with Core i3, 128 GB with Xeon E-2000), 2 M.slots for boot and app pool (and onboard 10 GbE on the AsRockRack cannot hurt).
Okay, I understand what you're saying. However, I can't help but wonder: Yes, I want a good system, but isn't it... too much, for me?

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Also, I've tried to find out about IPMI, but I can't figure out how it works. Can you explain?

NugentS

MVP
I plan to increase this when I need it ^^

Okay, I'll change it to a SATA SSD x)

Can you recommend a power supply?
Look at PSU tiers - and pick one from the top 2 tiers. Also - the case you ultimately pick may dictate which type of PSU to use (ATX/SFX)
There are various lists - but go for a good PSU as its one of the most important bits that determine stability

NugentS

MVP
Also, I've tried to find out about IPMI, but I can't figure out how it works. Can you explain?
Its like a small PC embedded inside the main PC. With it you don't need a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached - you can just connect to the management interface and completely control the machine as if it was directly in front of you. Configure BIOS settings monitor boot process until the main OS responds etc.

DRACCS from DELL
iLO from HP/Compaq
IPMI from SMC
I am sure it has other names. Some better, some worse but still very useful for a remote solution (even next desk over)

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Look at PSU tiers - and pick one from the top 2 tiers.
Thank you! The worst thing is that I know about this site, because it's the one that made me choose an rm850x power supply for my gaming computer. I should have thought of it, sorry

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Its like a small PC embedded inside the main PC. With it you don't need a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached - you can just connect to the management interface and completely control the machine as if it was directly in front of you. Configure BIOS settings monitor boot process until the main OS responds etc.
Wow, that sounds great! How do you connect to this interface? via an IP address, like Truenas?

NugentS

MVP
Browse to a different IP address, type in credentials

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Browse to a different IP address, type in credentials
OK, OK, I've watched a few videos about this and it looks really handy. However, one thing I don't understand is how to get the login information, like IP address, login and password? Are they marked on the card's manual, or can the default settings be restored directly on the card? I'm asking these questions because I'm wondering how to obtain this information in the case of a second-hand product where the seller wouldn't know how to give it to me.

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Also, I was wondering how to transfer my jails when I want to move them to different disks. Currently, to move a jail, I turn it off, then use the "iocage export" and "iocage import" commands. Is there a better way to do this, such as a way to transfer the entire iocage folder from one disk to another without having to do it manually?
The way I do it seems impractical, you have to export the jails, change them to another disk, set the location of the jails on a new disk and then re-import those jails.

Whattteva

Wizard
Also, I was wondering how to transfer my jails when I want to move them to different disks. Currently, to move a jail, I turn it off, then use the "iocage export" and "iocage import" commands. Is there a better way to do this, such as a way to transfer the entire iocage folder from one disk to another without having to do it manually?
The way I do it seems impractical, you have to export the jails, change them to another disk, set the location of the jails on a new disk and then re-import those jails.
I haven't used the jails since version 9. Isn't the iocage folder actually a dataset? If it is, you could just snapshot and zfs send/recv.