My server won't start.

Proxipupuce

Explorer
Hello,
First of all, I'd like to apologize if my question has already been asked, because even when I searched, I couldn't find anything.

Anyway, here's my problem:
I recently had the opportunity to purchase an Intel Xeon E3 1240 V2. I was going to use it to replace the i5 3570 I use in my server.
I don't have a graphics card in my server, and I was only using the i5's integrated graphics to install Truenas.
So when I got this Xeon, the fact that it didn't have integrated graphics didn't pose a problem for me, I figured I'd just have to temporarily plug in a graphics card when I needed it.
I then installed the Xeon in my server, but it refuses to boot. With the Xeon + a graphics card, it works, with the i5 without a graphics card, it works, but with the Xeon without a graphics card, it doesn't work.
So I've come to the conclusion that the motherboard needs either a graphics card or an integrated graphics part to boot.

Interestingly, if I go into the bios with a graphics card, select the integrated graphics part instead of the card, unplug the graphics card while in the bios and leave the bios blind, the server starts up without a hitch.
However, this only works once, because the next time the server is restarted, the absence of an integrated graphics part forces the bios to set itself to the PEG parameter for booting with a graphics card.

So my question is, is there any way of forcing the motherboard to stay on the IGD setting? Or is it possible to force it to boot both without a graphics card and without integrated graphics?

configuration :
- Motherboard : MSI B75MA-E33
- Processor: Intel I5-3570
- RAM: Viper 2*8gb 1600Mhz
- System installed on a PNY 120GO SSD connected in SATA 6Gb/s
- Storage : 3 western digital red of 3 to in RAIDZ1 connected in SATA 3Gb/s
- Truenas version : TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3

Don't hesitate to ask me for more information, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm editing my old post to respond, because I can't do otherwise.

Firstly, I'm really sorry, I'd given up on the Xeon processor and totally forgotten to reply... really sorry.

However, you were right, and I bring a feedback on my problem: It comes from the motherboard: the motherboard is simply unable to boot without graphics support, and there is no BIOS setting to change this.
On many desktop/gaming motherboards (like the one I'm referring to in this post) mandatory graphics support is required for booting, whether the solution is a GPU or an IGPU.
One more reason not to make the same mistake I did if you want to avoid these problems: get server hardware, it will save you the trouble caused by hardware that isn't made for servers.

In any case, thank you for your help!

Last edited:
It's probably a failsafe of the motherboard to halt the boot process if there is no video interface available. Is there an override option somewhere in the BIOS?

You might have to set the GPU device to "None" or "Disabled" if such an option exists.

Slightly off topic: This is a likely caveat to consider with consumer/gaming motherboards vs server boards.

Last edited: