Need Help getting files off FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

eli.bamf

Cadet
Okay, so here's the situation. I am more into linux boxes than I am into BSD boxes but I figured I would give FreeNAS a try. I have heard good things about it and so forth, but I ran into somewhat of a problem with 8.0.1 release. Whenever it boots it says ata2 waiting to write DRQ something or other. The system is able to accept pings but I cannot access the web GUI in anyway. So basically I really liked using FreeNAS before this happened and I can't find anything on google with this problem so my next step is to come here. Yes it was working just fine and hunky dory before but now its basically kaput.. I can't access any files on the system, I have a RAID-Z of 6 disks going on so I have quite a bit of data on there I need to get off and figure this thing out before something worse happens.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone can shed any light on this issue it is greatly appreciated, questions? please ask and I will answer them as best as possible. I would like to get this thing back up and running ASAP.. thank you in advance everyone its greatly appreciated.

globus999

Contributor
Okay, so here's the situation. I am more into linux boxes than I am into BSD boxes but I figured I would give FreeNAS a try. I have heard good things about it and so forth, but I ran into somewhat of a problem with 8.0.1 release. Whenever it boots it says ata2 waiting to write DRQ something or other. The system is able to accept pings but I cannot access the web GUI in anyway. So basically I really liked using FreeNAS before this happened and I can't find anything on google with this problem so my next step is to come here. Yes it was working just fine and hunky dory before but now its basically kaput.. I can't access any files on the system, I have a RAID-Z of 6 disks going on so I have quite a bit of data on there I need to get off and figure this thing out before something worse happens.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone can shed any light on this issue it is greatly appreciated, questions? please ask and I will answer them as best as possible. I would like to get this thing back up and running ASAP.. thank you in advance everyone its greatly appreciated.

The DRQ issue is a bug. It is being worked out (hopefully). It has had no effect on FreeNAS performance (most of the time, keep your fingers crossed).
Wrt not being able to access the GUI, maybe some guru over here may be able to figure out if the webserver is not starting or something like that.

As a last resort, re install from scratch and do an export from CLI and then AutoImport from the GUI... *should* work..... yes, I know, it sucks.

TapRackPull

Dabbler
I have had this issue innumerable times. In the past, I have always created a new USB drive and, with a little luck and a lot of patience the system will boot past that particular 'bug'. Once the system comes on line, via the GUI, just reimport the volume and viola you are in the roses. I realize it isn't a fix, but you are not alone. FWIW I have had *fewer* ata hangups using beta 4 than other versions. Just my $.02

eli.bamf

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions.. I am re installing to a new flash drive now.. so we will see how this goes. I didn't want to do this but hey.. do what you gotta do. Hopefully this bug can get fixed... darn my lack of foresight not to have a config file!

ProtoSD

MVP
If worse comes to worse, you could just use an Ubuntu system with ZFS installed and import your volume there. Just don't upgrade your ZFS pool version if you do that or you won't be able to switch back to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.