SOLVED Need help configuring Network Interface after install from console

north15

Dabbler
Good Day,

I'm needing some assistance in setting my FreeNas system. I just finished my build yesterday and got FreeNas installed on my system. Once I booted into the console my network interface didn't auto-populate an IP. I'm not sure if it was supposed to auto-assign an IP or if I need to configure that manually.

When I set an IPv4I still cannot find the server from my router.

My Build:
Motherboard: Tyan S5512 WGM2NR
Ram: 16GB of DDR3 1333
Installed on 128GB FlashDrive
Ethernet

Using the stock ATT router, DHCP is enabled

Thanks for any help,
Jacob

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your NIC is supposed to use the em driver, and FreeNAS does try to use DHCP on first boot. Does ifconfig -a show any em interfaces?

north15

Dabbler
Here is a picture of what I get back

Image.jpeg

Samuel Tai

OK, try a different cable. Do you get link lights?

north15

Dabbler
I have a link light and I'm able to access the AST2150 web GUI which was set with DHCP

Samuel Tai

Try setting your IPMI to use the dedicated port instead of the shared port. It's supposed to use a different MAC from the system MAC, but better to make sure. I think the router gave an IP to the IPMI, and stopped listening afterwards on that port.

north15

Dabbler
@Samuel Tai I set the IPMI to a dedicated port, and also then plugged my ethernet into the other port. Looks like everything is good to go, was able to get into the web interface.

I do have one question still, did changing the port switch the interface from em0 to em1? I see that em1 now has a connection status in the web interface, but nothing for em0. Do I need to have another cable into the em0 port?

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but I would appreciate understanding this better.

Samuel Tai

No, it's not recommended to have both em0 and em1 connected unless your router/switch has LACP support, and you create a LAGG interface. Consider this a quirk of your motherboard. You can move the cable over to em0.