need help - can’t log in to my freeNAS system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayeem

Dabbler
this is silly but I don’t know how to log back in to my NAS system. I moved to a new state and previously I was using 192.168.1.150 as my ip to log in. This just won’t work now. I know it has to do with the ip address in either the NAS settings or my router. I am using a net gear wireless-N 300 router. When I go to my router I don’t see the NAS device so I can’t assign a specific ip address. I also can’t log in to the NAS web browser. I can log in via SSH but I don’t really know what I should do from the command line to fix the ip issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

phoenix

Explorer
Do you have a monitor attached to your FreeNAS server? That would allow you to make changes to the IP address but you should always have a fixed IP address for server on your LAN (IMO).

Nayeem

Dabbler
i did attach a monitor and I see the “Console Setup” screen with 1-11 options.

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Initial_Setup and in particular Example 2.5a: Manually Setting an IP Address from the Console Menu. You could either enable DHCP (answer y when asked if you want to configure the interface for DHCP) and then see what the router allocates the FreeNAS or choose a new static IP address from the range the router is handling out. If you choose a new static IP you will need to alter the default route too (option 4 on the main menu).

Alec

Nayeem

Dabbler
Alec, thanks for the info. I followed the instructions exactly however I still don’t see “You may try the following URLs to access the web user interface:..."
I tried both ways first just changed the ip address using option 1 then selected Y to enable DHCP. Lastly I also added / changed the default route to the exact address I wanted to use (192.168.1.150)
Any further suggestions?

gpsguy

STOP - cross posting with new threads. You already have two active threads on the same issue

Sent from my phone

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
What IP address range is in use on your network at the moment? You mention having changed routers and it is very likely that the change in routers has brought about a change in IP address range (e.g. your old router used 192.168.1.0/24 and your new router is using 10.0.0.0/24 or something). If you need to use 192.168.1.150 then you will need to reconfigure your router to use that IP address range. Alternatively if you are happy to use a different range then leave the router as it is and reconfigure your FreeNAS. Your router will have a page in its configuration which describes the DHCP range that is in use and from that you can determine the IP addresses which are in the same network but not allocated automatically by DHCP (and so can be used for static devices). You can then choose one of those static IP addresses for the FreeNAS, set the default route to be the IP address of the router (this is VERY important if you want the router to be able to access the Internet) and that should be it. Alternatively if you would prefer to get an address temporarily by DHCP from the router and then reconfigure the FreeNAS via the web interface (slightly more user friendly than the command prompt) then follow these instructions and you should be OK.

• At the main menu choose option 1 (Configure network interfaces).
  • Choose the appropriate interface from the list (probably only one available) and make a note of its name (e.g. em0 in the example on the website).
  • Choose y to delete existing configuration.
  • Choose y to enable DHCP.
  • When offered the chance to configure IPv6 choose n for now.
  • When back at the main menu choose option 9 (Shell).
  • You should now be at a command prompt. Enter the following command at the prompt, subsituting the interface name as appropriate,
[pre]ifconfig INTERFACE_NAME[/pre]
e.g.

[pre]ifconfig em0[/pre]
  • You should get back something that looks like this,
[pre]
bge0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=c0099<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
ether 38:ea:a7:ab:f9:20
inet 10.0.0.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,master>)
[/pre]
The IP address you need to enter into your web browser is the one next to inet (10.0.0.101 in the example above).
If you do not get back something that looks like the above then execute the following commands at the prompt and put the results in a reply message (given there's no cut and paste when operating at the terminal you might want to take a photo with a digital camera and post the image here instead, just make sure it is very clear, well focussed and legible please). The commands are,

[pre]ifconfig -a
netstat -nr[/pre]
Kind regards, Alec

Nayeem

Dabbler
I do have a DHCP server in my network and the IP address it’s giving the NAS is 192.168.1.16

I went to option 1 and changed the IPv4 settings to this ip address
I went to option 4 and also changed the IPv4 address to this one.

neither of these have made it accessible on 192.168.1.16 or 192.168.1.150....any suggestions?

gpsguy

We've gone thru all of this on two different threads with the OP today. Based on what he said in the other two, he hasn't provided the entire story in this one.

Frankly I wish the mods would give him a 24 hour ban.

Sent from my phone

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
I do have a DHCP server in my network and the IP address it’s giving the NAS is 192.168.1.16
I went to option 1 and changed the IPv4 settings to this ip address
I went to option 4 and also changed the IPv4 address to this one.
neither of these have made it accessible on 192.168.1.16 or 192.168.1.150....any suggestions?

Once you've enabled DHCP you should not go into option 1 and enter the same address into it, if you want a static IP address you MUST choose one from outside of the range the router allocates automatically by DHCP. Also as I've said earlier you do NOT enter the same address in as the default route in item 4, that would be the address of the router you would enter there. For now enable DHCP, make a note of the address you are allocated and then try accessing the FreeNAS web admin console on that IP address from another device on the SAME network as the FreeNAS box (i.e. in this case the device MUST have an IP address which looks like 192.168.1.X where the X is between 1 and 254 but not the same as the FreeNAS itself). Ideally the device you will use for this initial test will be wired into the same router as your FreeNAS. If the web interface is not accessible then try pinging it from your device (which must still be on the same network as the FreeNAS). If that still does not work then you've pretty much exhausted the resources of the FreeNAS forums and will have to get a friend or professional who has skills in Linux/Unix/FreeBSD admin or networking to assist you. If you have got it working at this stage then you can start altering the configuration bit-by-bit, but please do NOT enter the default route as the same IP address your FreeNAS has, it MUST be the IP address of your network's gateway to the outside (e.g. Internet) which is normally your main router.

To echo other posters here too - please do not repeatedly post the same question on a forum, if someone can help they will help you, repeated postings just antagonise people. Also please give all the information in your postings, not just some of it (your two postings on here have very different levels of detail in them).

Kind regards, Alec

Nayeem

Dabbler
Alec - thank you for your patience.

First I tried the ipconfig using shell - I’ve attached an image for your reference. I tried visiting both 192.168.1.16 and 192.168.1.255 - no luck.
Do I need to add the .255 ip in the options using either option 1 and/or option 4?

Secondly, I’ve attached an image of my router and it clearly shows the ip address of the “NAS” drive as 192.168.1.16.

What do you think my next steps should be?

photo_3.JPG
router-image.png

Alec Edworthy

Dabbler
The photo of the screen on the NAS suggests that the correctly configured IP address of your NAS is 192.168.1.16 and this is backed up by the screenshot from the router. DO NOT ENTER EITHER 192.168.1.16 OR 192.168.1.255 AS THE DEFAULT ROUTE IN ITEM 4 THAT NEEDS TO BE THE IP ADDRESS OF THE ROUTER, PROBABLY 192.168.1.1 IN YOUR CASE What happens when you try to go to https://192.168.1.16/ in your web browser? If it does not work then find out the IP address of your laptop or PC or whatever you're trying to access the FreeNAS from and then type the following at the command prompt on the FreeNAS,

[pre]ping -c 4 IP_ADDRESS_OF_PC[/pre]
Where IP_ADDRESS_OF_PC is the IP address of the device you want to connect to the FreeNAS from. That should give you something like,

[pre]
[root@nas ~]$ ping -c 4 192.168.1.13
PING 192.168.1.13 (192.168.1.13): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.13: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=6.574 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.13: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.209 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.13: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.238 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.13: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.235 ms

--- 192.168.1.13 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.209/1.814/6.574/2.748 ms
[root@nas ~]$
[/pre]

Also try pinging the IP address of your router,

[pre]
ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
[/pre]
Which should give similar results.

It would also be worth trying to ping the FreeNAS from the device you are trying to administer the FreeNAS from. Assuming you are using a Mac then open a Terminal (Finder, Applications, Utilities, Terminal) and type the following at the command prompt,

[pre]
ping -c 4 192.168.1.16
[/pre]

This should give you an output very similar to the one above (but with 192.168.1.16 instead of 192.168.1.13). If you are using a PC then the command is,

[pre]
ping -n 4 192.168.1.16
[/pre]

Kind regards, Alec

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nayeem,

I've already deleted your cross posting threads once today and gave you a warning. If you continue you will be banned. We have no tolerance for people that want to cross post incessantly.

gpsguy

Like a handful of other members I read nearly every message (written in English) on the forum. If it's in the wrong forum, it still gets read. If you don't get a reply within say, 12 hours, perhaps the message was written so poorly, that we don't know where to start. We ask when posting message, that you follow the forum rules and provide the necessary information, so we can address your questions in an efficient manner.

Since the users who are answering the questions are just volunteers, don't expect an immediate answer. Many of us have day jobs, families, and other obligations. And, these same volunteers get nothing in return for providing help on the forum. No financial rewards, recognition, etc.

Now, on my breaks today, I try to help with your problem. But, reading it on my phone (via Tapatalk), I'm not aware of the duplicate threads with other useful information in them. And, the reward that panz and I get for trying to help you in the other thread, is that it's deleted due to being a duplicate. We loose the continuity of what's been said (due to having separate threads) and the time we spent trying to help, is gone forever.

To echo other posters here too - please do not repeatedly post the same question on a forum, if someone can help they will help you, repeated postings just antagonise people. Also please give all the information in your postings, not just some of it (your two postings on here have very different levels of detail in them).

Frankly, before we go any further, we need the OP to provide the information listed in rule 3 of the forum rules.

In two of the three threads the OP said "I recently moved and my new system doesn’t recognize my FreeNAS system." In the other thread that panz and I were helping with, we were told something along the lines of "I upgraded from 8.3x to 9.x and I can't login anymore". But, I can't quote the latter, since the thread has been deleted. He didn't say anything about moving. He also told use the brand/model number of his "server". I asked for more information, amount of memory, UFS or ZFS - but didn't get a response. I have a sneaking suspicion that he might be running ZFS with a fraction of the memory needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.