Duplicate MAC address created for FreeNAS Server & OwnCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayeem

Dabbler
I’ve searched the help & support > networking threads and didn’t find anything that was related to this so I posted this thread.

SYSTEM: FreeNAS-9.2.0-release-x64-(ab098f4)
PLATFORM: Intel pentium CPU G3220 @ 3.ooGHz
MEMORY: 16323MB
ROUTER INFO: N300 Wireless Router model WNR2000v2

So I’ve been having some trouble installing owncloud as you can see from my earlier posts here. I think I may have figured out why I can’t access owncloud on the ip address it’s set on. I checked my router and it looks like my FreeNAS server and the jail for owncloud are using the SAME MAC address.

I’ve tested this theory by removing the jail and reinstalling it back under a variety of ip address and each owncloud jail uses the same duplicate MAC address. Furthermore, if I install a different plugin / jail this doesn't happen. I don’t know why this only happen with the installation of owncloud. I guess I have to figure out a way to get the standard owncloud jail to use a different MAC address than that of the NAS-Server. I even tried entering in a manual random MAC address into the jail at creation but that doesn’t get recognized by my router.

QUESTIONS:
Could this be a router issue? If so, any idea on what I need to do fix this?
How can I get a NEW MAC address assigned to the owncloud jail?
Perhaps theirs another method?

-Router showing MAC address as duplicates:
router-showing-dup-mac-addresses.png

-OwnCloud settings:
owncloud-settings.png

D

dlavigne

Could this be a router issue? If so, any idea on what I need to do fix this?

Yup, and this is the exact reason why the "MAC" field was added to a jail's settings. The docs indicate this for that setting:

MAC
string
if a static MAC address is needed, input it here; requires VIMAGE to be checked

Nayeem

Dabbler
Dlavigne,

Thanks for that piece of info. It seems to have solved the duplicate MAC addresses. I only ‘unchecked’ vimage because the instructions I was following to create a jail specifically said to do so.

I’ll try loading the jail and update you, but I think this solved my issue! Thanks!!

Supersonical

Dabbler
Yup, and this is the exact reason why the "MAC" field was added to a jail's settings. The docs indicate this for that setting:

MAC
string
if a static MAC address is needed, input it here; requires VIMAGE to be checked

This solved alot of shit happening in my local network!!
Thank you so much for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.