Need a power supply for a FreeNAS build, any good recommendations?

mhweb

Explorer
I'm building a FreeNAS box for up to 12 drives with a Xeon E5-2680 v3 and I'm looking for a quality power supply around $90 to $130, can any advise me on brand and model of power supply should I get? I'll be using the Rosewill RSV-L4500 case and the SuperMicro X10SRL-F ATX motherboard.

Thanks,

If your serious, machine on 24/7? seek out a Gold or Platinum rated PS. Power savings over time will be worth the extra few bucks. Seasonic, eVGA, Corsair, Silverstone amongst others in the 500-850w range. Fully modular is worth serious consideration as well. Check out this calculator and give yourself an extra hundred watts or so minimum and you will be golden.

I meant to say that eVGA power supplies often have 10 year warranties, thats why I bought one.

Last edited:

mhweb

Explorer
If I'm planning on having 12 drives, should I care about the number of sata connectors, or can I add adapter later?

Thanks

I use splitters/adapters and you can convert all the molex to SATA too, just get high quality ones and you will be ok.

Edit: No I wouldnt care alot, any power supply thats about a hundred bucks will have several sata/molex connections to work with.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer