Could someone verify for me that this build will work? [15-bay server][Celeron G530]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizpig64

Dabbler
Hi there,

I'm working on building my second FreeNAS system, as I've realized the old one sitting in an Antec 300 will soon outgrow itself. I'll be selling the old one (less the drives) to my office, where we're moving to a different server setup to include a massive backup solution like a FreeNAS server separate from our db/web server. From that point we'll be doing mutual off-site backups to eachother's servers, until my volume gets too big. We'll be waiting for black friday/cyber monday to buy most everything, but here's what I've planned so far for everything but the drives.

I'm planning on something like two 7-drive RAID-Z2 vdevs in one pool with a hot backup drive if one fails, adding more drives to work up to that plan as i need the storage and as I can afford the drives.

Everything seems compatible, so besides any issues that I may be completely missing, my main question is if the CPU is powerful enough to handle a 14-volume pool of disks?

Thanks all.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Everything looks beautiful to me. Wish I had a 15 bay case. The 10 bay Norco I got for only $70 but your looks so nice and black.

EDIT
Man, yours comes with fans all over too!

wizpig64

Dabbler
Man, yours comes with fans all over too!

I know, but they're probably a bit cheap/loud; you could spend $99 on fans alone if you got half-decent ones. Doesn't matter to me though if I can throw it in a closet where I won't hear it. Just bought it cus they just added free shipping today :D

Do you think the CPU is sufficient? Or am I worrying too much and this is more than enough to handle 15 drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.