NAS pool condensing on boot

JDM83

Cadet
So we have a pool that was a little over 90% utilized and suffered a power failure which forced a reboot on July 28. Everything seems okay with the hardware but when booting it takes me through a condensing process. I found a similar post from 2018 which appears to be the same issue (https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/permanent-condensing-scrubbing-on-boot-help.70781/) . Theirs resolved itself and they were able to get it working again. So with that info I just let mine run hoping it would boot after this condensing process. It has almost been 2 weeks now and it is still condensing. What are my options here?

This pool is about 30TB

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I’d consider adding a VDEV to the pool to get it well below 80% full as a starting point. You really don’t want to be up in the 90’s if you want the NAS not to slow to a crawl as it packs every nook and cranny.

JDM83

Cadet
I’d consider adding a VDEV to the pool to get it well below 80% full as a starting point. You really don’t want to be up in the 90’s if you want the NAS not to slow to a crawl as it packs every nook and cranny.

How do I get past the condensing to do that?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Paging one of the Demi-gods here. I unfortunately have no experience with a condensing FreeNAS system.

Past posts on this topic suggest that the system will eventually boot and then you have the opportunity to either delete something you don't need or add to the pool capacity.

Last edited:

JDM83

Cadet
Paging one of the Demi-gods here. I unfortunately have no experience with a condensing FreeNAS system.

Past posts on this topic suggest that the system will eventually boot and then you have the opportunity to either delete something you don't need or add to the pool capacity.
Thanks for the input. Hoping there is something I can do besides wait. Still running as of this moment...

JDM83

Cadet
Still running... Hoping to keep this thread alive until it is resolved.