FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3 can't delete / import zpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raipe

Cadet
I installed fresh 11.2-B3 and everything went fine. I have old raidz1 zpool (made with OpenIndiana many years ago, if not with OpenSolaris) in the same hardware except OS drive and I did an import via Web GUI which worked fine. I rebooted the server twice. I have 8 GB of RAM and 5 HDD:s (2 TB WD Red).

In that old zpool I had a zvol (400 GB) that was shared through iscsi. I didn't need this anymore so I deleted the iscsi zvol from Web GUI. UI said something like "wait" and I understood it was deleting that zvol. That went on about 10-15 minutes and then the whole FreeNAS server didn't respond anymore. When I checked the "console" there was:
Beginning ZFS volume imports

Importing 4648874408636858367 (<- "number" of my zpool which is named data)

condensing: txg 54885406, msp[5] 0xfffff80086e2d800, vde... (photo edge)
txg 54885408 open pool version 28; software version 5000/5; uts 1... (photo edge)
condensing: txg 54885408, msp[5] 0xfffff80086e2d800, vdev id 0, sp... (photo edge)
txg 54885409 set data/iscsishare (id 12222) refreservation=0pid 215
uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 320 (python3.6), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 319 (python3.6), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1053 (dtrace), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 223 (python3.6), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1062 (zpool), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1061 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
Killed
pid 1067 (awk), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1066 (zfs), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1065 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 24 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1045 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

So I had to restart the server from the power button. It didn't reboot, there was similar error messages.

I booted to the single user mode and did "zpool import data" -> cannot import 'data': pool may be in use from other system...
So I did "zpool import -f data" and after about 10 minutes:
pid 35 (zpool), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 27 (csh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
# pid24 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
Oct 6 19:48:03 init: singe user shell terminated.
init died (signal 0, exit 0)
panic: Going nowhere without my init!
(and so on)

I tried to boot to the fresh / after install FreeNAS mode, and I don't know how but one time I managed to do that. So it got a new IP address and I could login via Web GUI. After that I didn't know what else to do but try to import data again. I could monitor my free RAM during this import from Web monitors and at the beginning the free RAM amount was about 6 GB and it decreased slowly to 0 (in 10 minutes) and then it failed because of "out of swap space". After that one time I haven't been able to do this fresh boot, I don't know why.

Is there a way to limit this memory usage so the OS won't crash? Or import my zpool without that one zvol / iscsi share which should be deleted anyways?

Can I import my zpool with read-only with some parameter in this case, when the normal import doesn't work at all?

Is there a point to boot to e.g. a live Linux and try to import and configure my zpool from there?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, there are bound to be problems with a BETA version of any OS. That is why it is in BETA. Why would you install a beta version of the OS to edit a pool that was created so long ago that you can't remember what OS you used to create it. Why not use the stable version?

https://download.freenas.org/11/latest/x64/

Raipe

Cadet
I'm not sure if the beta is any different when doing the basic zvol deleting or zpool importing but it, of course, might be. I could install the stable one and see, does the same swap space problem still exist. Thanks for the advice.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes. There have been problems with even deleting groups of files in the BETA. Use the non BETA version and you probably won't have this problem.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Swap space is a different issue. FreeNAS creates the swap space as part of the storage pool if your pool was created on a different OS, there won't be any swap space. Not having ANY could be an issue. Solving that is a whole other problem.

Raipe

Cadet
I installed the stable version (FreeNAS-11.1-U6) and it went well. I tried to import my zpool (data) and same swap errors occurred. Same errors after forced reboot (it's trying to import data). Is it possible to limit the ARC size which is used during importing a zpool? I took screenshots few minutes before the server "crashed":

Memory:
Memory.jpg

ZFS:
ZFS.jpg

Raipe

Cadet
Status update: "zpool import -fo readonly=on data" did work even though there was a note "Unsupported share protocol: 1.".

I can read my data now, but I believe I can't import my zpool without readonly. I did "zdb -e data" to get some information about the pool. There were lots of rows including:

"Could not open data/iscsishare, error 16
Dataset data@zfs-auto-snap_frequent-2018-10-06-15h58 [ZPL], ID 59257, cr_txg 54884542, 5.88T, 312404 objects"

Raipe

Cadet
Swap space is a different issue. FreeNAS creates the swap space as part of the storage pool if your pool was created on a different OS, there won't be any swap space. Not having ANY could be an issue. Solving that is a whole other problem.

How can I add swap to fix this problem? I understand that the import might require more swap space than I can offer. Is the swap connected to the zpool or whole OS?

Other question: Can I somehow configure that zpool not to import that zpool/iscsishare (zvol) at all? After all, it should be deleted.

Raipe

Cadet
A short summary for anyone interested: Problem was shared (old) iscsi zvol, which FreeNAS couldn't delete properly. I got my zpool fixed by installing newest Linux Mint and installing zfs tools. Importing zpool worked from there and after that FreeNAS didn't have problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.