daily security run output: swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smarley

Explorer
Hy guys,

I received this by email today.
I´m not on the site that is the box, so I accessed by SSH and used freenas-debug -t for the system.
I checked at the log the following messages:

Code:
Feb 25 20:26:07 VM sm-mta[12287]: v1PHQ7JL010947: SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: Group writable directory
swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
tons of swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(12): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(9): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(5): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(4): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(3): failed
swap_pager_getswapspace(2): failed
After that...
pid 5387 (VBoxHeadless), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
em0: promiscuous mode disabled
Feb 25 21:48:43 Servidor kernel: pid 5387 (VBoxHeadless), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
Feb 25 21:48:43 Servidor kernel: pid 5387 (VBoxHeadless), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
Feb 25 21:56:08 VM sm-mta[61458]: v1PHQ7JL010947: SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: Group writable directory
Feb 25 22:26:07 VM sm-mta[75908]: v1Q0u7JL061458: SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: Group writable directory

Any idea what happens?
I always had this Vbox runing an Windows 7.
This Freenas was live for almost 40 days without modifications at all.

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please post your system specs per the forum rules and you should get some assistance.

I suspect you have low RAM and as the error message says, you ran out of SWAP space. Swap space is used when you run out of RAM and you should do your best to design a system which never has to need the swap space. And using swap space kills performance.

Smarley

Explorer
Hi, I have an Lenovo TS140 with only 8Gb of ram.
But is a very small office, with just 3 users and small files.
Only one person deal with some photoshop, corel, etc... but is occasionally.

Attached is the moment that the problem happens.
I rebooted the server now, checked remotelly and the Vbox is working with windows inside, all the files are affordable by the network.

Attachments

• Memória.PNG
    Memória.PNG
    95.4 KB · Views: 345

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, you did run out of SWAP Space as indicated in the image you captured. I can't tell you what was being swapped, just that your system was trying to free up RAM for something to happen and couldn't do it. What I didn't like was how long it took to use up the SWAP space, maybe you have a memory leak going on in the VBox or some other program you are running. Do you know exactly what was happening during those hours on that day? I would recommend that you double your RAM to 16GB. I am not personally familiar with the TS140 but if it can take 32GB RAM, since you are in an office then it could be a smart move. But first ensure what your computer could be upgraded to.

If it turns out to be a memory leak, you will need to reboot the system periodically to keep the issue at bay. Yes, servers do periodically get reboot just because of memory leaks since they may not always be found quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.